Turkey Time

NCWood

OK, time to start the obligatory turkey thread.

I'm having a few neighborhood couples over and I was going to smoke one bird and deep fry another. I just love deep fried turkey. A friend from Louisiana introduced me to them about 15 years ago, before they became all the rage. I still use his recipe for the Cajun Injection, its Awesome.

Well, it seems my neighbors figured since I would have the cookers cranked up anyways, they were sure I wouldn't mind throwing an extra bird on for them, so at this point I will be frying 2 and smoking 2, at least.:eek: Not a problem with the fried birds, only 35-40 minutes each. My questions have to do with the birds on the drum smoker. Since this is my first year with the drum smoker, and I will be doing 2 - 12-14# birds, I welcome any and all suggestions. I am familiar with my drum by now, it seems to like to set in at about 250*. I have the water pan mod installed.

What cook time can I expect, I am thinking about 3.5 hours cooking and 15-30 minutes resting. Does that sound in the neighborhood? About 160* in the breast? In a pan or out? Flip it while cooking or not? So many questions, so little time.

Any other advice?

Thanks Guys.

Gary

scooter

Staff member
I recommend flipping and rotating the bird whether or not you use a pan but for different reasons. In a pan you're flipping so you can more evely brown the bottom since the pan acts like a heat shield the bottom of the turkey will be more pale color than the top if you don't flip. If no pan is used you flip so you can more evenly brown the top as the bottom will take the brunt of that semi direct heat hitting it for the entire cook if you don't flip.
I flip and rotate everthing no matter what cooker I use. It's a good practice to get into and it definitely promotes even cooking.

Last edited:

sheepdad

We're only doing a 8# breast for sammies this year. With work, high school football game, and running around, its gonna be a crazy holiday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom