On the fence

wneill20

I have two pellet smokers and a gasser thinking of building a drum smoker and i have a few questions. What is the longest cook you have done, Do you have to add coals, if so how is this done, any tips that i should know?
Thanks for your response

Big Poppa

Administrator
O w....you are asking in the wrong place...I can get about 9 hours sometimes more on a basket at 250....you remove the food and pour more charcoal in the basket and replace the food...

MrAdam

If it's cold outside I find that I use more charcoal to keep the temp up. Haven't done a long smoke in warm weather yet. I can get about 10 hours on a full basket depending on how much of a chimney full you start out with.

That's using the drum smoker kit from http://www.bigpoppasmokers.com. If your charcoal basket is a different size your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

chingador

I have only had my BPS for a short time and have done only one long cook. I got 13 hours on a brisket cook out of one basket of charcoal. I was not careful about how I arranged the coals and most of them were smaller chunks of lump charcoal. If I would have had some large pieces in the bottom of the basket, I might have been able to squeeze an extra hour or two. I think that is very good. For you, if you run a charcoal basket dry at 10-15 hours, you can easily transfer meat over to your pellet smoker until you get the coals re-loaded and temperature re=stabilized.

cowgirl

Depending on the burn and outside air temperatures, I can get a 10-15 hour burn out of a basketfull of briquette coals.
As the drum temperature lowers towards the end of a long cook, I knock the ashes off of the hot coals, open the air intake all the way to milk a little more time out of them. :)

The UDS really is a set it and forget it cooker. :)

Top Bottom