Meat Man and I tackle a Turkey at the Laughlin Comp

Big Poppa

Administrator
As you hopefully know by now Meat Man is a FABULOUS Butcher...I brought a turkey to spatchcock and cook on the drum for this comp dinner.....(Dont worry Two handfuls of Oak pellets! Will couldnt believe how much smoke it generated!)
Meat Man ready for surgery....
IMG_0521-2.jpg

He split the backbome out like a knife through warm butter....then he said "You want the breast bone out? sure...Then he said "How about these bones?" at this point I was saying yes because I wanted to watch the master....!!!!
Seasoned with Big Poppa Desert Gold and on the cooker
IMG_0523.jpg

two and a half hours and 162 it is done and resting ALWAYS REST YOUR TURKEY
IMG_0526-4.jpg

Remove the breasts and cut against the grain for more yield and more tender slices...98% of America cuts it on the bird with the grain...no no
IMG_0528-2.jpg

IMG_0531-2.jpg

IMG_0533-2.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

This was really good...Will, Brad and I polished off a 14 pounder easy. If you are doing this with traditional Thanksgiving forego the pellets and use a deflector plate....this was very nicely smoked and very juicy!

meat man

That was one tasty turkey. Moist and tender, seasoned to perfection. The added pellets worked great on the drum and provided just the right amount of smoke. Sterling, Brad and I demolished that bird.

MrAdam

Looks great! I've been slicing my turkey like that for about 10 years, and it delivers more tender and juicy breast meat for sure.

Meat Man: which bones do you remove when you spatchcock a bird?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

meat man

Adam, I remove the spine, and the keil bone from the breast. I also like to take the hip bone off the thigh.

Looks great! I've been slicing my turkey like that for about 10 years, and it delivers more tender and juicy breast meat for sure.

Meat Man: which bones do you remove when you spatchcock a bird?

MrAdam

I'll have to try it that way. I usually remove the spine and break the keel and leave the hip bone intact. The bird will probably rest even flatter with the keel and hip removed.

By the way, when you say hip bone I'm assuming you mean the pelvis of the bird and not the femur.

Top Bottom