My UDS and a few smokes

cragcrawler

Hello! I am new to this forum and new to the art of making delicious smoked entrees!

In the area that I live, Traegers have become a popular thing. So much so that the very word of "Traeger" sends me through the roof when I hear it! Although they have their place in the BBQ scene, I didn't feel it was true BBQ when you have to set it and forget it. So began my journey into the world of Smoked BBQ. I new I wanted to build my own and perused the internet in search of the prefect fit for me and my needs. I saw every homemade smoker imaginable from flower pots to file cabinets. The ones I liked best were the UDS ones. Unfortunately I didn't see this site at the time nor did I know about the kit you can buy. Wish I would have because it would have saved me lots of time at the local hardware store and the local hospital getting three beautiful stitches in my hand! None the less I adapted and overcame my obstacles and built the one you see below.

On the outside you will see a door to access the charcoal basket. The basket sits on a grate about two inches off the bottom. you will also see slider damper. there are two, one on each side. You will also see my temp gauge as well as two dampers up top. Inside are two more grates. One to hold the water pan and one to hold the food.

downsized_0913121200.jpg

Here it is in action

downsized_0927121314.jpg

The first smoke session I smoked this wild turkey I harvested this last spring. I brined it in a buttermilk brine to tenderize as well as to add some moister. I then draped bacon over it for added moister and because it's bacon so why not.

downsized_0927121528.jpg

The second smoke session I performed was this chicken my beautiful wife picked up whole at the supermarket. I separated the halves and marinaded them in a creamy criollo sauce.

downsized_1105121715.jpg

I look forward to reading all of your posts and learning from all of you! Really looking forward to one day getting the kit from Big Poppa. I have another drum sitting here waiting, but need to convince the wife that the next build will not result in a 400 dollar ER trip!

sheepdad

Welcome to Drumsmoking cragcrawler.
Your build came out great along with some good looking food. Thanks for the pics but a shot if the stitches would have been nice next to the golden brown smoked chicken. :p:D

Again welcome aboard and look forward to hearing from you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cragcrawler

Welcome Nice cooks! How was the wild turkey different?

The turkey was good! I almost always brine my wildgame. Cuts down on the gamey flavor and adds much needed moisture. The bacon adds moisture throughout the cook and bacon is meat candy anyway! For this turkey I used a buttermilk brine. Buttermilk helps tenderize the meat plus adds a little extra hint of zing which I like. The drum sticks and thighs of the turkey were good but are stronger in the gamey department. My wife didn't care for them as much as the breasts. My Hunting seasons ended this fall and now I'm itching for spring turkey season to get some more!

Bob, I thought about posting a picture of my stitches but didn't want the weak at heart people to have turned stomachs.

Jeanie, I came across your blog a few years ago and saw your first drum you built which inspired me in the UDS direction. A lot of the drums I was seeing were crappy at best and I wasn't impressed. Then I saw yours and thought "They can look nice!" Then the other day I was perusing the internet world and thought "I wonder what cowgirls up too." Then I discovered this website from your blog. Great job with the blog!

cowgirl

Cragcrawler thank you!! I appreciate you stopping by my blog. Glad you made it over here. :)
Your drum looks great. I didn't see the part about your stitches before...hope all is well now.

Dove season just ended here and I'm getting ready for deer. Hope to get a few quail again this year too. I haven't hunted turkey in a couple of years but your pics have inspired me! :)
Thanks again!

cragcrawler

Dove season just ended here and I'm getting ready for deer. Hope to get a few quail again this year too. I haven't hunted turkey in a couple of years but your pics have inspired me! :)
Thanks again!

Where I'm from it's not really cost effective to hunt turkey, but I just love being out there and hearing them gobbling and coming in. Deer and Elk season is over here. Tag soup was delicious! LOL

cowgirl

Where I'm from it's not really cost effective to hunt turkey, but I just love being out there and hearing them gobbling and coming in. Deer and Elk season is over here. Tag soup was delicious! LOL

I know what you mean! Just being out there is enough.. if you fill your tag it's a bonus. :)
Sorry to hear about the tag soup. lol

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum cragcrawler. This forum's pretty new, so it's good to gain more new members. I didn't go hunting this year, so like you, it's tag soup without the cost of the tag.:)

bkleinsmid

Hey Cragcrawler......
My turkey for this year is in the brine as I'm typing. I'm a lucky one.....the turkeys come here to visit each year.
I separate the leg quarters from the breast.......inject the breast and season it.......then wrap it in butter soaked cheese cloth. Then on the UDS. The quarters will go on earlier than the breast......after about 1 hour I will wrap them in foil with a little apple juice and let them go until they are tender. That is some good eating IMHO...

Brad

Top Bottom