Norwegian Christmas dish - from stove to drum. ( My way on the BBQ)

Nafle

I got some feedback on one my Drum thread so i decided to make a thread on how I'm planning on doing it on the drum as a test next weekend.

As a start i can tell how it traditionally are made in the stove.

index_zps68b8edba.jpg
[/IMG]

"For this recipe you will need a 5 pounds of pork ribs with rind. Cut the bones with scissors and cut squares into the rind with a sharp knife. Rub the ribs with salt and pepper. The ribs bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Put the ribs in a baking pan with the rind facing down into the pan. Pour about 2 pints of boiling water into the pan around the ribs. After 30 - 45 minutes, turn the ribs over. With a ladle pour some of the water from the pan over the rinds. Repeat this intermittently for the reminder of the baking time. For the last 15 minutes, let the ribs bake with the stove door open. This will encourage the rind to turn crisp. The crispness of the rind is a common way to judge the quality of the ribs. The crisper the better."

This is what I'm going to make without the baking but low & low on the drum.. I recon it will be here soon :)

The result will come :)

cowgirl

Alf that looks and sounds delicious!! I've never heard of this method, thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing your pics. :)

Nafle

Here is the result for my christmas test BBQ. Used only salt & pepper, sprayed with lemon juice a few times during the cooking time. Half way, turned the meat. Went this time for a core temp to 70*C and riced the coals to upper u bolts to sears the skin.

Served with christmas sausage brown sauce sour cabbage and potatoes.

emu9y3ub.jpg

arugy3un.jpg

qymupahy.jpg

It all had a perfect ending with my wife's coconut/ chocolade cake :)

8u3ajuqy.jpg

www.naflebbq.blogspot.no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sheepdad

Wow Alf!! Looks great. This is going on my list for sure. Saw a rack with rind at Restaurant Depot that i can use for this. Great job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Salmonsmoker

Alf, recognized the Norsk Christmas sausage. My son-in-law's family is all Norsk. Swedish potato sausage has been my family's Christmas sausage since before me.:)

scooter

Staff member
yeah, that drum HAD to have kicked up that recipe! Looks great Alf! Thanks for sharing your family traditions with us!

Nafle

Christmas beer for me and Christmas soda for the others :) and normally you also serve linie aquavit

MrAdam

Sounds good. Here in North America a very traditional Christmas drink is eggnog. It's basically cream, egg whites, and sugar. Add spiced rum at your discretion.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Salmonsmoker

Sounds good. Here in North America a very traditional Christmas drink is eggnog. It's basically cream, egg whites, and sugar. Add spiced rum at your discretion.

MrAdam, I think you meant to say egg yokes. That's what gives the yellow color.:)

MrAdam

Yes I did. Thanks for the correction. It's like drinking cake!

Top Bottom