How often do people use their smokers?

Motay

I've had gas grills for years and upgraded to a built in natural gas kit this summer when my wife and I remodeled the back yard. We routinely grill at least once a week, even throughout the cold and wet winter nights of the Pacific Northwest, with salmon becoming almost a Sunday night ritual because it's so quick, convenient, and so good.

I'd like to ask how often the smoking community uses their drums - is it for special occasions or do you smoke as often as I'm accustomed to grilling? Unless you've noticed my comments on other threads you wouldn't know that I just picked up my drum three days ago and ordered by BPS kit Weds night - so obviously I've not built or used a drum yet.

So I'm kind of curious what thought process people undertake when it comes to drums - are you spontaneous or does it generally take some thoughtful planning. How many days typically over the course of week or month?

Thanks all.

MrAdam

Ever since I got my drum I haven't touched my gas grill. With the basket in the raised position the drum makes a better grill than my gas grill does.

I just cooked ribeye on my drum last night, basket in the low position to get the meat up to about 110, then raised the basket, kept the lid off to get everything roaring, put one of the grates from my gas grill right on top of the charcoal basket (basket was a little overfull so actually on the hot coals) and then seared each side for about a minute. It was the best steak I've ever made, and there's no way I could get my gas grill that hot, even with the sear burner.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

sheepdad

Up until the cooler weather came in, I probably used the smoker twice a week and the grill about 5 days a week. Then once I got the UDS, The grill has gone to the wayside and I've been having fun cooking on the drum. I figure the grill will get more of a workout during the winter over the drum and the kettle just for the fact that I can get a quick cook in and get get back inside and the fact that there isn't much daylight to be had around dinner time. But I do make time to be outside and cook all winter just because I love doing it be it with the drum or the grill or the kettle.

cowgirl

I use my grills and smokers for 90% of my meals during the summer. It slows down in cold weather but I like to use them at least three times a week if possible.

Kristen's Poppa

I used my gas grill 5 or 6 times a year-got a Big Poppa's drum smoker for Christmas and have used it twice a week since Christmas day. We eat better and go to restaurants less!

T G

I typically only have the time to cook every other weekend at best, but that will change since Im wanting to start entering competitions. From the people Ive.talked.to, I dont think I will have any problems with finding guinea pigs.

cragcrawler

As often as I can get meat thawed. I have two freezers full of beef, elk, deer, chicken, & pork. The hardest thing is deciding what to get thawing.

Marcus

Bigfish

I am new to drum smoking but am using it at least once per week since completing it approximately 1 month ago. The food has been fantastic!

Top Bottom