Little pig

Easy burn

Looking for any experience with cooking a little 20# whole pig in the drum. Brainstorming rubs, temp and time.
Thanks !

sheepdad

Welcome to the forum. Sorry i
Can't help you on the pig though. Take some pics of that pig cook. Looking forward to seeing that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MrAdam

Keep a fire extinguisher handy! Lots of grease off a whole pig.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Easy burn

Gonna be pretty wild for the 4th go round on my drum. My buddy was so stoked on my first batch of ribs that I brought him when we got my steer hung in his locker that he insisted I bring the drum and we do one of his little pigs when I come back to cut and wrap the cow.
Not too worried about grease, I will just have to be prepared to adapt if it's an issue.
I will plan on S & P and granulated garlic my first time, which is my recipe start point unless there are any other must haves.....

Thanks,
Dan

NCWood

I did one of those years ago on a Weber Kettle. We tied the front legs to the back legs to keep him curved to fit into the barrel. We cooked him about 12 hours indirect, flipped a few times during the day. It was so long ago I don't remember rubs or spices but it turned out great! No Fear, go for it, you can't screw it up.

Easy burn

Wow, that was low and slow no wonder the results were so good.
I am thinking we will lay him out and score his skin to keep him flat, might have to rig him with some wire to help that.....
On board with the sentiment of NO Fear !!!

bkleinsmid

Easy burn......can I come to play? Baby pigs are great.
I do a small pig of about 50 to 55 LB's each year on my offset.....too big for the UDS but now I'm starting to think about that. There are lots of seasoning and injection ideas for them little guy's.
A friend told me some years ago not to cut the skin and start it on it's back.....keeps the juices in better. Then about half way through the cook (easy could be a 12 hour cook depending on heat), flip it over to finish. And, yes, there will be lots of grease so keep an eye on the fire. Nothing but bones and a little skin left.....

Brad

Easy burn

Man fire food on the cooking channel showcased a place that did whole hogs belly down @ 300deg about 16 hours, then flipped for the last hour to crisp the skin. I think i will try that although I am thinking a 15-20lb pig will go much quicker. A 8.5# shoulder last weekend@220deg cooked in 9hrs, so gonna approximate the target time based on the thickest parts.
Seems like the grease is a prominent concern, although hard to imagine such a little critter packing that much flavor.

Easy burn

photo 1 is the pen, showing the live size
pig1.JPG

Photo 2 is the little guy, with his skin torched ready to prep
pig2.JPG

photo 3 he is split open and rubbed with a commercial butt rub and lots of cider vinegar
pig3.JPG

Here he is after 5 hours all on his back @300 degress, internal temp of 180
pig4.JPG

Easy burn

It was really tasty, thumbs up from all the boys. You can see in the last photo I did use a drip pan, but next time I would skip that step since grease wasn't an issue. He barely fit in there, but you could always find a way if your piggy is a little bigger. The drum really made it an easy cook as I expected and I would recommend anyone give it a shot !!

scooter

Staff member
Congrats on that cook! Whole hog is one of the pinnacles of BBQ I'd like to achieve some day.

sheepdad

Congrats on that cook! Whole hog is one of the pinnacles of BBQ I'd like to achieve some day.

Same here. Thanks for posting this. Wasn't sure it was possible with the issues of fit and flare up. Looks awesome and bet it tasted the same. Just added it to next years summer list.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom