BBQ weekend part 2: Drum smoking 4 racks of lamb for my entire immediate family

scooter

Staff member
This coming Saturday night I was asked to cook rack of lamb for my families November birthday people celebration which will be held at my parents house. Five out of the ten family members in my immediate family were born in November. Soooo, since my drums are my new favorite cookers I loaded my black drum into my truck yesterday and transported it over to the folks house and set it up in the back yard under a covered patio ready for Saturday.
Tomorrow night the lamb will go into a marinade of chardonnay, garlic EVOO, fresh rosemary, fresh garlic and then be put to bed in the fridge until Saturday.
First thing that had to be done was to cross picket lines at Raleys to score the lamb! Raleys is the only grocery chain local to me that carries this local farmers lamb. Superior Farms is out of Dixon, CA. Really good stuff. I explained my little problem to the guys (just happened to be butchers) in line carrying picket signs and they understood and were very friendly. They told me to come back after the strike and they'd hook me up with the best meat ever! Sounds like a plan! More pics to follow!

10lbs at a great price of $7.99/lb which is about half off the regular price!
IMG_9681.jpg

Last edited:

Motay

Scooter, I absolutely love good lamb, so please do share more information about the cook process. (given that I'm a total noob to this whole thing!) Thanks, Marty

scooter

Staff member
The drum warming up in my folks backyard
IMG_9687.jpg

The racks on the drum
IMG_9684-1.jpg

Half way through and flip
IMG_9688.jpg

Slicing
IMG_9689.jpg

IMG_9690.jpg

My plate! :)
IMG_9693-1.jpg

The cook went smooth all the way up to the searing phase. I had put the coal basket on the upper loops then added some fresh lit lump coals when the basket flipped over and dumped the whole load on the bottom! It was dark when I put the basket on the upper loops and didn't notice that I had not put one of the support arms securely in one of the loops. Oh well. My brother helped me pull all the pieces of lit coal off the bottom and put them back into the basket so I could sear off the racks.
the lamb came out great! Tender and juicy. The family raved about it. My brother asked me to cook the Christmas prime rib at his house! Looks like the black drum will be my traveling drum. lol

Last edited:

sheepdad

Looks awesome scooter! I'm not a lamb guy but your cook has me re-evaluating my taste buds.
Congrats on getting the ultimate high five....to be asked to at somebody else's house.
Great cook...way to work past that minor coal dump glitch...and thanks for sharing.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I did that dump too....Scooter with a lot of moving parts try the sear one time without raising the firebox...it is really good...surprising

Top Bottom