Anyone Dry Cure Bacon?

sheepdad

Went to Restaurant Depot this morning and pick up a bunch of meats and other stuff.
Saw a 5lb slab of pork belly and figured I get it so I can try to make my own bacon.
Anyone ever do this before? Thinking of trying out Country Brown Sugar Cure and add some other spices to it...not sure though. Looking for some ideas or some tricks to the trade if there are any.

Thanks

MrAdam

I'd just use kosher salt, brown sugar, white sugar, and a little bit of black pepper to rub it with.

Don't need to get any fancy rubs with ingredients you can't pronounce.

To cure it, basically coat it very liberally in the mixture for a week in the fridge, flip it every day or two and rub the cure in, rinse it off and pat dry with paper towels, then smoke it as low as you can get your drum.

You want lots of kosher salt, and it's important because the kosher salt is better at pulling moisture out of meat than table salt is. Be creative with stuff like honey and maple syrup too. Maybe even a little bit of cayenne or chipotle. Onion and garlic work well too. The sky's the limit on your creativity.

MrAdam

Forgot to say put it in a ziploc bag if your fridge is self defrosting (most are) otherwise you'll lose way too much moisture.

Top Bottom