I like big butts and I cannot lie!

MrAdam

Off to the butcher today to pick up a pork butt. Are there any specific special techniques I should be using, or is a butt on the drum pretty much impossible to screw up?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Big Poppa

Administrator
yeah just make sure that you dont let your fire get away...wat ch for the color if it gets too dark dont be afraid to foil it to finish

MrAdam

Keep it around 225 for the cook or is temp not as critical as it is with brisket?

Big Poppa

Administrator
you can smoke anything at any temp basically under 300 ( iknow hot and fast is above that) but with the butts and the 'semi direct nature of the drum would have me smoke it at 225 on the dial and that would be 260-275 at the center...you can also place the towards the edges away from the hottest center of drum

MrAdam

I think I'll do it in the center of the drum at about 225. It's going to be an overnight cook so I'm planning on putting it on before I go to bed to have it ready for the next afternoon. I'm banking on about 90min/lb to take it to about 195.

NCWood

I did a big one last weekend, 10#. My drum seems to like to settle in at about 250*, even though it was a bit chilly outside. It took about 9 hours and my thermometer said it was 195*, not sure I had it right in the center though. It was bone in, and it fell apart when I tried to pick it up with the pigtail. It was finished perfectly, pulled exactly the way it should and tasted great! I used apple wood for the smoke, about 4 hunks in the basket. I did have the water pan in the center and that seems to have kept the butt really nice and juicy.

I had butt tacos for dinner last night. They were awesome!

Gary

MrAdam

I just switched butchers to someone who can get me berkshire pork and waygu beef (he's actually a restaurant meat supply that I got hooked up with on twitter. Score!), but he doesn't know what bbq'ers like yet. He gave me a bonelesss butt, but it was very cheap. about $1.75/lb for boneless seems like a pretty decent deal.

I have to train him that we like big, not broken down pieces of meat!

scooter

Staff member
During your training process, don't forget to bring him some of your product as part of training him into a drum smoker!! If you get him hooked on drum smoking you'll have a meat source for life!!
super.gif

MrAdam

That goes without saying. I'm a little hesitant on doing the butt tomorrow. We're supposed to get a blizzard.

MrAdam

Ready to go on!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352431342768.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352431342768.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 246
Top Bottom