A Beef Cheek Chili Relleno Bake

cowgirl

Took a shortcut, instead of dipping the stuffed chilies and frying them individually, I layered everything lasagna style.

Blistered, steamed, peeled and seeded some anahiems (my favorite).

002_zpsc932c98c.jpg

layered them in the cast iron pot, topped with beef cheek meat that I cooked with onions, green, red and yellow peppers.

009_zps58643b84.jpg

010_zpsad687719.jpg

topped with asadero cheese and repeated the layers two more times.

012_zps33fb237a.jpg

019_zps2b27cb66.jpg

made my batter using 8 whipped egg whites, 8 yolks and 8 TBs of flour,
poured the batter over the top...sprinkled with dry rub.

023_zps67bae4e1.jpg

Into the Big Poppa Smoker UDS at 325F.

064_zpsdb31bb54.jpg

052_zps2e18654d.jpg

Turned out pretty good! Really saved a lot of time making them this way too.

114_zps24313000.jpg

088_zps944c403f.jpg

Thanks for looking!

sheepdad

Now that looks awesome jeanie! I really got to start doing a lot more with my Cast Iron. +1 on the Dos Equis

How long did you cook it for?

MrAdam

I want to do a cow tongue or three on the drum now! Thanks for the inspiration Jeanie! That means I have to boil them for hours first!

cowgirl

Thanks Scooter and Deb! :)

Bob the cook took about one hour. I wanted to make sure the batter had "set" and the center was heated through. Thanks!!

MrAdam, wonder if you could corn the tongue first. Sometimes I make corned venison or venison pastrami. Might be a good option for tongue too. Thanks!

MrAdam

Luckily, tongue is inexpensive so I can experiment a little. For the first one I'm going to boil it to remove the skin, then rub it with some canola oil and my brisket rub, and put it in the fridge to cool, finish it off on the drum for a couple of hours.

I also want to try brining it with sugar/salt/pickling spice and then boiling and smoking without rub.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I get excited when I get a new idea! Great cook on your part!

cowgirl

Thank you Scott! They're my favorites. :)

MrAdam, no problem at all! I enjoy exchanging ideas too. Hope you take pics for us. Thanks! :)

Top Bottom