I love brisket!

MrAdam

I'm going to be doing a cold weather brisket in the beginning of December!

Called my specialty meat guy, and he has a couple of 6 pound longhorn cattle briskets for me right now at a steal of a deal ($3.64/lb or $8.00/kg I usually pay double that for run of the mill beef), and since meat is best when it's aged, he's going to dry age them for me!

Not only am I looking forward to my first brisket on the drum, it will be my first really long cook on the drum. We'll find out just how long a load of charcoal will last in the cold. I expect the mercury to be about -25C or about -13F when I start the drum in the morning. Brr! Lots of whiskey to warm me up!

chingador

is it a 6lb packer or just the flat? If it is just a brisket flat, then bail out. Do it right and opt for the whole packer. Flats can be somewhat unforgiving. The whole packer has the fatty portion. Perfect size is about a 9 or 10lb packer brisket. Rub with salt and black pepper only (heavy on the black pepper) and get after it.

MrAdam

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure it's the whole packer. Longhorn cattle aren't as heavy as other breeds we're more accustomed to eating.

Edit: 6 lbs untrimmed according to butcher. Longhorn cattle is also very lean, so the fat cap might not be as significant as a regular brisket.

Last edited:

sheepdad

13 below!!!!????? What the @$#%#$ This is gonna be an interesting cook to say the least. Can't wait to see how it goes Adam. Stock up on the charcoal man.

scooter

Staff member
6lb is very small. I have had much better success in the 15lb-18lb range than when I went in single digits. 6lb untrimmed might translate into 4lb trimmed.

MrAdam

If they really are that small I'm going to need 2, so I'll cook them right next to each other and hope they behave like one big piece of meat.

MrAdam

Found out it was just a hunk of flat, but he's ordering me a packer. Won't get quite the same aging on it, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have a whole month.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

MrAdam

Rub with salt and black pepper only (heavy on the black pepper) and get after it.

I use Meathead's beef rub recipe and my family really enjoys it. This won't be my first brisket, just the first one on the drum.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom