What's smoking this weekend?

NCWood

I've got a 10# butt on the drum. Had a time getting it up to temp this morning. Last week, I had only one bottom vent hole open, but I had to have two holes on each side opened this morning to get up to 225*. It was less than 50* when I cranked it up this morning, have you guys seen temp differences like this?

MrAdam

It depends on the amount of coals you light to get things going, especially at colder outside temps. Try using 3/8 of a chimney full instead of 1/4, and keep an eye on your charcoal levels after the 10 hour mark. I cooked some chicken last week when it was about 38 degrees outside, started my usual 1/4 chimney and it took almost 45 minutes to get up to 275 with both vents at 2 holes.

I have to experiment some more with cold weather smoking.

scooter

Staff member
By the way, to answer your question, I'm doing a test rack of lamb on the SS drum this weekend in preparation for next weekends November birthday dinner for my family. We have a big gathering in November because out of the 10 people in my immediate family, 5 of them were born in November. I got the nod to bring the meat and rack of lamb was requested.

NCWood

I am using Kingsford Blue with apple wood. I started with about 1/3 a chimney and it did come up to 225-250 after about 45 minutes with two vents open on each side. I left it there and that is where it stayed. I just checked and the butt is at 191*. I put it in a foil pan and covered with foil after about 3 hours. Put apple juice in the pan before I foiled. I will take it off at 205*.

Big Poppa UDS Smoker
New Braunfels Bandera Smoker
2 Weber OTS
Weber Genesis Gasser
Orange Thermapenple juice in the bottom of the foil pan.

NCWood

Hey Scooter, how did the lamb come out? We love lamb here too. My butt was awesome this weekend. LOL, The pig was too.

Gary

Top Bottom