Drum Cover

NCWood

Hi Guys,

I was getting my drum set up this afternoon to do a big hunk o' pork tomorrow. I found some water in the bottom that obviously got in there from some rain from Hurricane Sandy, we got our share here in NC. I had all the vents shut, but I'm guessing that enuff rain sat on the lid to somehow leak into the drum. I know how caustic wet ashes can be in the drum, super rust through in no time I am guessing. :(

What do you guys do about it, or haven't you had the problem? I was thinking about a cover like grill covers to put over it between cooks. Hey Poppa, anything like that in the works?

scooter

Staff member
I wish he would. His fabricators seem to be able to make just about anything and have it look great.

Here's my hillbilly solution until I can secure a cool cover worthy of a drum. A garbage bag and a Jethro belt. I have been checking tire centers around me looking for those cool tire stack covers like BP suggested. Particularly those covers with Valvoline or Goodyear or some advertising on it. No luck yet.

IMG_9644.jpg

NCWood

Thx Scooter, I had forgotten about those tire covers, seems like someone else mentioned it before as I recall. Next time I get into town I will have to look around. Although I would refer to see Poppa come up with something elegant.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I have one I purchased on Amazon I need to try. Will do today and take some photos. The problem with making covers for grills is price vs quality. Some are willing to pay to protect others think it should be free when it comes from the manufacture.

southga

I found an inexpensive (less than $10) cover for bullet type smokers at Lowes. It has elastic around the bottom to hold it in place. The vinyl is thin & will tear easily, so you have to take it off & on carefully. For the price, it works fine.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Cover on Drum

The covers I have are Heavy Duty on the Drum and the last picture is their standard duty on our MAK two star general pellet grill
DSC02334-L.jpg

DSC02335-L.jpg

DSC02336-L.jpg

DSC02337-L.jpg

DSC02338-L.jpg

DSC02339-L.jpg

Greatscott!

Thanks for the pics, Jim.

Hey, side question: judging by your bolt and thermometer locations, you have two cooking grates on your BP drum. Is the lower grate at the original kit-designated height? Or did you move it to accommodate the top-level cooking grate?

Motay

I got the very same elasticized one at Lowes mentioned by southga, and I'm equally pleased with it. It was a return, was wrapped in their "saran wrap" material, and priced at $7. Works perfectly fine for me!

Top Bottom