Exotic meats

MrAdam

I have the chance to get my hands on a horse brisket (from my butcher who knows how much I love making brisket) I think it would be awesome to attempt, but my better half says she won't eat it. Translation: I won't get to try it.

Has anybody ever tried making a smoked brisket from an animal other than beef?

scooter

Staff member
Only rib tips which are the brisket of the pig, or at least part of it. Not very exotic.

I'd have a real hard time eating horse.

sheepdad

Nope... Can't do horse. I've had bear, deer, bison, emu, and rabbit. All good, but horse... Nope just can't.
McDonalds is the only freak meat I've eaten and it's been awhile since I've had that.

MrAdam

I'd have to try horse before I would say I can't eat horse. My wife is a picky eater though, she didn't even eat pork before I met her and it's taken me years to get her to even start trying it.

If the animal is raised for slaughter, I don't see a problem in trying it.

scooter

Staff member
I guess for me it simply boils down not eating animals that we humans create a bond with typically as pets. For me, eating a horse would be along the same lines as eating a dog or cat. Not that I can't do it, just wouldn't want to.
If I was starving to death then those priorities would get reevaluated and the menu items start to expand and open up but I would really need to be literally starving before I could eat a horse, dog etc. Just my opinion.

MrAdam

I understand why a lot of people feel that eating a horse is taboo. I know I'm probably in the minority of North Americans who would try horse. I love meat so much that I would be willing to try any meat once before I decided I didn't want to eat it. Heck, I've even eaten sea urchin in sushi, and I vehemently suggest against it, unless you like eating something with with the texture of cold mucus.

In French culture it's perfectly acceptable to eat horse, the same way there are cultures who do not keep dogs and cats as anything more than security and pest control and have no problems eating fragrant meat.

I didn't start this post to rile anybody up, I was merely curious to see if we have any members who have an adventurous palate like I do.

Nafle

Hi.

I don't think anyone is offended by this thread. But I think we all have different viewing on the theme. for instance: In Norway we have guinea pigs as pets, but in south America they deep fry them. In china they eat dogs and horses. For me it's no problem as long as I don't have to eat it :) the same reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

a small link on the topic : | The Sun |News

Don't feel bad tying. :)

cowgirl

I've owned two horses in my life that I should have eaten. lol

Figure if I were born several thousand miles to the east or west, my menu would look a whole lot different.. and I'd be thankful to have it. (what ever it is) :)

edited to add.... I did have to give up on raising meat rabbits. They were just too cute for me to process. :(

Last edited:

MrAdam

If I have an audience that will eat it, I'll make it. The people I cook for won't. I have to find some local food oddities people and start doing potlucks, lol!

scooter

Staff member
Wish I could get them down. I've only had them raw on the halfshell. Have heard stories of how good they are on the BBQ. Someday I will get over that cold mucus texture enough to try them BBQ'd.

MrAdam

They're great raw, but smoking oysters brings them to a *whole... notha... level*!

Also welcome to the forum NCWood!

bkleinsmid

Years ago I got to sample some very fine meat at a deep pit BBQ with about 250 people. Although the goat and wild boar were my favorite of the bunch, there was some horse meat in there as well. I didn't know that part until the next day but I do remember it.
MrAdam......if I lived closer to you we could throw a chuck on the UDS and give it a try with a couple of beers......maybe more....

Brad

Top Bottom