Dreaded Red Liner -- Opinions?

Greatscott!

Sooooo close to my drum build.... time to make some decisions.

A coworker surprised me with a free food grade drum... which unfortunately has the dreaded red liner. I have zero inclination to fool around with multiple burn-outs and wire wheel stripping. Located a powdercoating company that will strip it inside and out for $120 per hour, which I'm hoping will translate into 30 minutes of actual work or less. Any experience on this front to share?

Also, how long do I have to season and paint the drum before worrying about the bare steel rusting?

Thanks for your thoughts....

sheepdad

Nice job on the FREE drum !!! Yea get that thing sandblasted for sure. Mine took the guy 15-20 minutes and cost $40. If you have a cemetery monument place near you, they might do it on the cheap for ya. The rate you got is right on par with mine it seems like you got a fair deal.

Steel oxidizes pretty darn quick...a little longer for rust to form... so plan ahead for the least amount of time for the metal to be exposed. Depending on how much moisture is in the air, oxidation can be visible in less than 24hrs. If your gonna use a Rustoleum type hi temp paint then you don't really have to worry about anything if you paint within a day or 2.

As far as the seasoning went. I sponged on a light coat of vegetable oil on the whole inside and underside of the lid and did a couple of long clean smokes with no food.

Good luck and show us some pics of your progress.

Greatscott!

Okay, awesome, thanks for the info! I'm mainly worried about timing in regards to having my BP kit on hand. Think I'll make sure it arrives and then get that sucker cleaned out and off we go! Plan to do a whole spread on the build -- been on medical leave so itching to get at it! If I can swing it, I may even do a quick vid for YouTube. We want the word on the kit out there!

Top Bottom