Smoked chicken, drum style!

MrAdam

Doing my first smoked chicken on my drum tonight. Got a 9lb bird and had the butcher cut it in half. I have it sitting on the outside of the drum, but due to the cold weather I'm having trouble getting the temp much past 200. I have one side open 4 holes, and the other open 2 holes, and it's just starting to climb.

On a side note, it seems that lately every time I've decided to use my new drum smoker, mother nature gives me snow.

Big Poppa

Administrator
they grow them big up there or else they are using the dewey decimal system! Open both vents all the way but watch carefully at the slighest rise because once it gets gong when you have it full on it is a runaway train

MrAdam

The butcher didn't have any fryer chickens today, just roasters. I got the temp up to about 250, and I closed off the vents to 1 on each side. Gonna check it in 10 minutes and see how we're doing. I only lit 15 coals to start with, that might be part of what's taking so long to get to temp.

I'm thinking when it gets cold I might have to light a full chimney to get going.

MrAdam

Aaaaand it just started snowing. I'm pretty sure I can manipulate the weather. Every time I decide to cook outdoors, it snows.

MrAdam

Done! Rather quickly too...

SmokedChicken2012oct25.jpg

MrAdam

No worries. I'm getting ready to sizzle some sauce on. Got the smoker chuggin up to 450 with a fresh load of charcoal in.

*tsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss*

scooter

Staff member
I've never seen pull back on drumsticks like that before! What did you put on it? Any wood? How did it taste??

MrAdam

BP: tasted great! Will definitely buy Chernobyl Farms chicken again!

Scooter: I used about two handfuls of maple chips on unlit coals and under lit coals. Cooked at around 250 for two hours until 165F internal, took them off, topped up the charcoal basket and raised it, left lid off to get things cranking hot, put lid back on once coals were almost all lit and until oven hit about 425, put chicken on skin side down to crisp it up for 5 minutes, sauced skin side, another 2 minutes skin down to finish, rest 5 mins and serve.

Top Bottom