Smoked Salmon chowder with UDS apple crisp

Salmonsmoker

It surely is fall here. Blowing wind and rain, new snow down to 3000'. Time for some comfort food. Smoked salmon chowder will fill the bill, and there's nothing that says fall like apple crisp.
Most of the characters....
004-3.jpg

Diced potatos and onions getting some smoke love with apple pellets in the a-maze-n device. Enough smoke?
005-5.jpg

While the smoker is going, time to whip up a batch of apple crisp and get it in the drum smoker w/temp. holding steady @ 315F around the outside edge. I figured it was pretty close to 350F in the middle.
007-3.jpg

Potatos and onions out of the smoker, onions into the pot with celery, carrots and butter for a little sweating.
008-2.jpg

Potatos and chicken stock into the pot to cook all the veggies al dente.
009-1.jpg

With the veggies cooking, time to make the rue.
010-1.jpg

Alder smoked salmon that I'd smoker earlier this fall chunked up and ready. Every thing into the pot.
011-1.jpg

Time to take the crisp out of the UDS.
012-1.jpg

I sliced up a loaf of sourdough, lightly brushed with EVO, then onto the drum for a lite toast and served with the chowder.
013-2.jpg

And the dessert. I was really surprised that there wasn't a hint of charcoal aroma or flavor present in the apple crisp. Mmmm... I...can't...move...
014-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

cowgirl

Looks delicious! Great timing too... I have smoked salmon on hand, thanks for the idea. :)
The apple crisp looks fantastic too!

scooter

Staff member
The crisp looks great and even the chowder looks good to me! I had an "episode" with smoked salmon 20 years ago and still can't eat it but I'd make an exception in the case of your chowder! :)

Salmonsmoker

The crisp looks great and even the chowder looks good to me! I had an "episode" with smoked salmon 20 years ago and still can't eat it but I'd make an exception in the case of your chowder! :)

Scooter, I'm convinced a piece of my smoked salmon would win you back.:D

Top Bottom