Blue Skies Rib Cook

sheepdad

The Skies cleared up nice and had a long anticipated smoke to attend to. We were going to a Halloween Party @ 7 so planned for 5 hours to give me some leeway and went to it.

2012-10-20_14-27-25_750.jpg

Got the ribs rubbed and after some advice from scooter, decided not to do the over nite rub experiment afterall. 2hr before going on the grate I applied some EVOO and rubbed 2 with the Simply Marv cherry and 1 with their Sweet and Spicy.

While I was waiting for the rub and oil to get to know each other on their date at the rib house, I did a little temp probe hole install and a diffuser/water pan install. I'll show you guys those in the Lounge.

Smoked with Cherry again (my new favorite) and had the drum going at 260 for most of the cook. Dropped to 250 for a little cause I went out for some Dunkin'.
A Little over 4 hours later, the toothpicks nearly dropped thru the rib meat. Very happy with these ribs. Moist with a slight pull off the bone. Very tasty, and really liked the cherry rub. The sweet and spicy was real good too but I was expecting a little more heat. I'll tweak it next time.

2012-10-20_18-07-56_639.jpg

2012-10-20_18-07-40_756.jpg

2012-10-20_18-21-53_946.jpg

2012-10-20_18-33-46_531.jpg

Thanks

scooter

Staff member
Cherry wood with cherry rub is a good choice! Cherry is one of my favs also! Are you using wood chunks or pellets?
Good color on those racks Bob!

sheepdad

I'm using chunks. Really liking the mild smoke flavor cherry gives. Definitely my new goto
wood now with apple heading up the rear. Haven't tried Pecan yet but seems like others are using it a lot. Interested in trying that for sure one of these dsys. Haven't seen it locally so I'll have to get it online.

scooter

Staff member
I like pecan only I don't like how dark it paints the meat. Like hickory in that aspect. I get my wood chunks from Fruita. I get oak locally but have to buy my apple, pecan and red oak online.

Top Bottom