Start of my BPS Adventure :)

Nafle

All blue in my face, from paint dust.
Started to rub of my drum, with god help of my daughter :) This drum is not treated inside so there I just have to clean it before the coating. :) but the outside :( Had to take a brake while the battery is recharging.

WP_002872_zpsb6a70e7a.jpg

WP_002867_zps797dd930.jpg

WP_002873_zps537c0d91.jpg

To be continued ...

Attachments

• WP_002872.jpg
    WP_002872.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 281
  • WP_002867.jpg
    WP_002867.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 273
  • WP_002873.jpg
    WP_002873.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 275
  • WP_002873_zps537c0d91.jpg
    WP_002873_zps537c0d91.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

sheepdad

So far so good Alf...This is the hardest part and when your done...it's smooth sailing from that point on.
Have fun and keep the pics coming.

Nafle

I can't seem to get the pictures in the post but only as a link... frustrating. :confused: anyone with an idea?

Nafle

Looking good so far! When does the kit come?

Well I hope they are sending it om Monday. Had to fix my credit card so a little late. I haven't rubbed more today, I'm thinking of painting it inside and light up so the paint can curing.

But what are you guys think of coating the drum inside?

Salmonsmoker

Alf,
Not a good thing to coat the inside of the barrel with anything but a food grade oil. Olive oil, Pam, corn oil, Crisco, etc. before your burn-in. I hope you're not thinking of painting the inside. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?:confused::confused:

Nafle

Alf,
Not a good thing to coat the inside of the barrel with anything but a food grade oil. Olive oil, Pam, corn oil, Crisco, etc. before your burn-in. I hope you're not thinking of painting the inside. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?:confused::confused:

I Was thinking of painting it inside. but with a paint resisting up to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. But you would not do that?

Nafle

So if i get this right: I should not get the drum painted, but use some vegetable oil and grease it inside? and then burn it of? I thought I should burn it of so the paint loosen easier on the outside.

Thanks guys :) I'll continue when i get the templates for the drum so I can drill the air vents :)

scooter

Staff member
Alf, what was the drum used for previous to you acquiring it? And does the inside have some sort of protective coating? Proper advice on handling the inside hinges on your answer to those questions.
I agree with salmonsmoker that you shouldn't paint the insides. Paint the outside, take the inside down to bare metal then wipe with cooking oil and start smoking.

Nafle

Hi The drum was never used for anything and has no protecting coating on the inside. So Inside there are only bare metal. And thanks for good feedback :)

Salmonsmoker

Alf,
If this helps, here is the step by step that I did with my barrel project.

*There are commecial paint strippers, some non toxic, that you can use to strip the paint off the outside of your barrel. It's a lot easier, quicker and thorough that sanding the paint off.

The place I bought my used barrel knew I was making a drum smoker, and they steam cleaned it and even stripped the paint off the outside.

I completely scoured the inside of the barrel with soap,water and a 3M scouring pad, Rinsed it out and immediately put on a propane burner to dry the barrel out so it didn't start to rust.
With the outside clean, I then marked all of the hole locations using the supplied templates, and with a small drill bit, drilled a pilot hole at each location.
Then I drilled the holes out to the proper diameter, and deburred all of the holes. Using the provided step bit and drilling very gently from the opposite direction does a good job of deburring, Be careful, the metal's thin and it would be very easy to oversize the hole.
After deburring I put masking tape over the holes on the inside of the barrel so that I didn't have any exterior paint get on the inside of the barrel. Then I painted the outside of the barrel.
Two reasons I used this order: 1.We get a lot of rain here and the barrel doesn't have complete cover out of the rain, so I wanted the edges of the drilled holes to get a coat of paint to help prevent rust from starting at all the hole locations. 2. Hot metal shavings from the drilling can burn into newly painted surfaces, and then you'd have to refinish or touch up the marred areas.
After the painting, I assembled all the parts on the barrel, coated the inside with cooking oil, filled the basket with lighted charcoal and did the burn-in.
Of course, the last part with a frosty beverage close at hand.:D

Nafle

Thank you Salmonsmoker. :) the whole thing seems easier. I'll try to get some paint stripper, and I just have to wash the inside as you told. I hope to get going a lot done during this week :)

Greatscott!

For stripping exterior drum paint, I can recommend Kleen Strip:

18 oz. Stripper-ESR72 at The Home Depot

Eight bucks a can. Spray on, fifteen minutes later a stiff breeze will strip the paint right off. It will even remove a tan interior liner, but you'll naturally have to wash the bare steel well afterwards. (Unfortunately, it's not efficient enough to strip the Dreaded Red Liner).

As far as finishing goes, think of the interior of your drum like a cast iron pan. Rather than put paint on a cooking surface, you want to use vegetable oil, Crisco, or spray-on Pam cooking spray followed by a high-heat burn to soak into the porous steel. The exterior can be painted with pretty much anything resistant to high heat, like engine paint, caliper paint, or high temp Rust-o-leum. Most are rated for 500 degrees or more. (Note that for some reason, Rust-o-leum high temp paints don't recommend using a primer, even though Rust-o-leum makes one. Go figure.)

Best of luck!

Top Bottom