Venison-Beef Snack Sticks on the BPS UDS

cowgirl

I've been camping a lot lately but hope to get back into doing some drum smoking!

Deer season is coming up for me so I wanted to use some of the venison I had left from the last hunt.

Made a slurry of ...

1 cup water
1 tsp. mustard seed
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. onion flakes
2 TBs. Tender Quick

For each 3 lbs of venison burger
I did add a bit of ground beef to my venison burger which was a mix of venison and pork fat.

005_zps255c8d39.jpg

011_zps15255891.jpg

let it chill overnight and stuffed the casings.

015_zpsce0c8a11.jpg

into the BPS UDS ...

033_zpsdbfc76e9.jpg

I was able to keep the drum at 150F (these are gauge readings) which made me happy. Then bumped it up to 175F (gauge) to bring the internal temp of the sausage to 165F. I used the diffuser from my Hasty Bake and rotated the ropes several times for even cooking.

042_zps6842d927.jpg

046_zps37dd6d6d.jpg

056_zps5c32f859.jpg

taste test...

062_zpsda04d834.jpg

cut and wrapped...

104_zpsf7a0bb5d.jpg

snack sticks, asadero cheese drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with a hot pepper blend.

109_zps2715685e.jpg

I was happy with the way the drum handled the sticks!

Thanks for looking..

scooter

Staff member
Looks delicious! Venison/beef/pork snack sticks smoked! Wow, nice color. Interesting how much open space on the grill after cooking. They shrunk a bit.

cowgirl

Thanks BP, Scooter and Deb!
Scooter I moved them around a lot for even cooking, might be why it looks like there's more room. (also ate one. lol ) They did shrink a bit too. Was really happy with the way the drum handled the sticks though. :)
Thanks again!

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I see your tying the ends. I assume your using Collagen casings. Was that to keep the size uniform or is there something else you can teach us?

cowgirl

OK, so I don't have any venison, what ratio do you use for beef/pork only 50/50 ?
Thanks

Rick deer season is coming up... better get ready. :) I like 3 parts beef to one part fatty pork. Good luck with them!

I see your tying the ends. I assume your using Collagen casings. Was that to keep the size uniform or is there something else you can teach us?

I had a baggie full of odds and ends casings in my fridge. They were all collagen but I couldn't tell for sure how long each section was. I started out looping the ends and self-tying them but the butchers twine turned out to be easier and faster for me to use.
I need to talk someone into running the stuffer while I fill the casings, it would go a lot smoother! :)
Thanks Jim..

old smoke

Rick deer season is coming up... better get ready. :) I like 3 parts beef to one part fatty pork. Good luck with them!

I need to talk someone into running the stuffer while I fill the casings, it would go a lot smoother! :)
Thanks Jim..

Jeanie my hunting days are over.... "rode hard and put away wet" too many times when I was young and foolish....lol
One of the many voices that speak to me daily is "Arthur (itis).....lol ;)
I will try these soon, thanks for sharing.

I would do it for a chance to stea.... errrrrrrrrr, ahhhhhhhh learn some of your cooking secrets...Oh yeah, I'll need a map too....;)

cowgirl

Jeanie my hunting days are over.... "rode hard and put away wet" too many times when I was young and foolish....lol
One of the many voices that speak to me daily is "Arthur (itis).....lol ;)
I will try these soon, thanks for sharing.

I would do it for a chance to stea.... errrrrrrrrr, ahhhhhhhh learn some of your cooking secrets...Oh yeah, I'll need a map too....;)

lol Rick!
Sorry to hear about your hunting days and Arthur. Keep me posted if you give em a try. :)

Top Bottom