High temp/Rocket searing in the EDS coal basket

scooter

Staff member
What I'm looking to do is slow cook tritip/steaks on the drum then expose the coals to lots of oxygen then do a rocket hot sear on them but the setting for searing on the BPS EDS did not suit my style of searing. The cooking grate was approx 6" above the coals in the stock searing position. I need the grate to be about an inch above the coals.
I found a cooking grate online with an outside diameter of 12 3/4" that fits inside the coal basket with about a 1/4" clearance on the inside circumference of the basket.
Bought 4 "L" brackets from the hardware store and first cut then and bolted them to the inside of the coal basket.
Rocket searing now available when needed.

$4.94 Camp Grill Portable Round Steel Cooking Grate-Go Fast and Light + $6 shipping. Or $8.45 if you're an Amazon Prime member Amazon.com: Sportsman 12-3/4-Inch Replacement Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden
IMG_9399.jpg

Cut the "L" bracket and used the part that was cut off as the washer.
IMG_9401.jpg

4 "L" brackets installed.
IMG_9400.jpg

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9404.jpg

Patrick_CT

Oh man. I just finished adding the pizza tray... Was going to fire it up this afternoon. Now you have me thinking. Haha

Great job! Where is a pic of the steaks?

scooter

Staff member
Thanks Patrick, here's the first test I did last night. It was about 2lb strip roast. Seasoned with garlic olive oil and TX BBQ Rub Steak Sprinkle.
I had the diverter in but I think I'll remove it for steaks and tritips.

Flipped it over midcook
IMG_9450.jpg

Done and resting before searing. Pulled it at about 133 and basted with butter.
IMG_9452.jpg

Reverse sear for about a minute per side.
IMG_9456.jpg

I was using blue bag after about an hour and a half. The coals weren't that hot anymore so didn't get the sear I was looking for. Next time I'll throw some lump on top of the blue bag.
IMG_9457.jpg

IMG_9462.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom