Best time of year to stock up!

MrAdam

Right now the prices in Canada are ridiculous for charcoal. 16.6 lb bag is about $18. I'd rather buy 300 lbs at a time at $5 a bag.

When do you guys find the lowest prices for charcoal?

Greatscott!

Generally in the US the big sales hit on the three major summer holidays. Memorial Day (late May), Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day (early September). You always see Kingsford blue bag bundled very cheap and sales all over on everything else.

scooter

Staff member
What Scott said. I buy my charcoal at Home Depot during the memorial day sale. Usually will buy about 500-600lbs of the K blue bag at .24cents/lb. It just doesn't get any cheaper than that unless Lowes does their memorial day thing where you buy two 13lb bags of the blue bag for $7 then you receive a $10 off coupon on a purchase of $50! It essentialy boils down to Lowes paying me $3 to haul 26lbs of charcoal out their door!

Last edited:

ajstrider

Generally you can get Kingsford blue bag for $ 0.45 a pound about anywhere if you look, and then there are the sales too, here in Kentucky.

Salmonsmoker

My last purchase was Costco. They carry Kingsford Comp (red bag) twin pack 2x18# @ $0.56/lb. It's probably a seasonal item there. I stock up in the spring and summer months to get through the rest of the year.

scooter

Staff member
My last purchase was Costco. They carry Kingsford Comp (red bag) twin pack 2x18# @ $0.56/lb. It's probably a seasonal item there. I stock up in the spring and summer months to get through the rest of the year.

All gone from my area Costco. I checked last week. Don't they know BBQing is a year round deal here in CA!!

Salmonsmoker

All gone from my area Costco. I checked last week. Don't they know BBQing is a year round deal here in CA!!

True that! Here too for us diehards. Costco shelves are now full of Christmas stuff. Don't they know about all the charCOAL needed for Santa's stockings?:confused::confused:

Patrick_CT

True that! Here too for us diehards. Costco shelves are now full of Christmas stuff. Don't they know about all the charCOAL needed for Santa's stockings?:confused::confused:

hahaha... yeah we have the normal Kingsford still here, but lots of Xmas stuff. I guess there are more bad kids on the East Coast so we stay stocked up!

Easy burn

Cash and Carry is worth checking into in the Pacific Northwest, they stock the 2x20 Kingsford and big bags of lump.

went yesterday $19.78/40# !!

Last edited:

MrAdam

Cash and Carry is worth checking into in the Pacific Northwest, they stock the 2x18 Kingsford and big bags of lump.

What do they sell for per #? I just bought a bunch of blue bag from Wally World for $5.37/8 lb bag.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Greatscott!

If I buy KBB outside of sale times, I go to Food Maxx (discount branch of Lucky grocery stores) 2x18 lbs for US $15.98. The Lowes here regularly sell bundled 2x20 KBB for US $17.99. Both work out to about 45 cents per pound.

scooter

Staff member
Jeanie, need to plan it better. Only buy your charcoal during Memorial Day or 4th of July sales and buy 100's of pounds of it and store in the garage on a piece of plywood or other. Just get it off the bare concrete floor. It never gets any cheaper than .24/lb like it is during those sales.

scooter

Staff member
In my garage over the 27 years I've lived here I've had water heater flooding and rain water (from time to time) flowing through my garage (I have a 3 car garage with a door to the side yard) so nothing important sits on bare concrete in my garage.

MrAdam

Makes sense. My garage is quite dry. I was worried I was going to have to move my charcoal pile when I got home.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom