Tips on repainting a UDS

scooter

Staff member
I recently acquired a used UDS and if I wanted to repaint my UDS to a different color or glossyness, what steps should I take to do that?? Can I just paint right over the old coat(s) of paint? What are the ramifications of doing that?
Currently, my UDS is a semi gloss black. There are some stickers that came on the drum originally that were never removed and were painted over when the UDS was assembled. Some of the stickers have shrunk from the heat of previous cooks and some of the original green drum color is showing where the sticker used to stretch to so I don't think the drum was ever stripped of it's original green color in preparation of it receiving its black semi gloss coat.
I will be removing the stickers somehow then performing whatever steps are suggested here before repainting.

BTW, I own one of those weed burners/charcoal starter torches.

Last edited:

Salmonsmoker

Another tip.... what ever brand of high heat paint you use, read the fine print on application. I used Rustoleum high heat primer and the same brand high heat paint. Mine is now curling and flaking off down to bare metal. I'm in the trades, and primer then paint is standard procedure. Well...when I read ALL of the application directions it said "use with primer is not recommended". Guess what I get to redo. DOH! :mad::mad:

Steviez269

Definitly sandblast it ! It'll take stickers and all ! Rust oleum has a good grill and stove paint that's pretty durable . I used flat black VHT header paint which it Awesome and super durable , but again , read the directions ! First time I painted it , looked great , but peeled after 2 or 3 cooks . Turns out , the paint will not cure unless you follow an easy 3 step heat process that I failed to . Second time , I followed it , the paint lasted longer than the interior of the drum ! Almost 5 years , no rust , or flaking or peeling in all that time ! Good luck , have fun !

ajstrider

I had mine sandblasted and then I used Rustoleum High Heat spray paint in silver that I found at Home Depot, took three cans to get two coats on the entire drum. I then let it dry for a day and then warmed it up with some charcoal gently until about 300 degrees, and let it burn there for a few hours. It seems fine. Sandblasting will give the barrel a rough finish, you will have to sand it afterwards if you want it smooth.

Top Bottom