Built our Drum, finally

meat man

Took us a while to get it done, but here it is.

6e93a63864ac4eab65b74a6fd9e31395.jpg

Willie helped a ton, and he and Rachael put in all the hardware. Mak wasn't much help.

5fb5fc10ea60ea23d026a1451cdba4f8.jpg

meat man

Those hole are for hanging meat. I am going to put a couple pieces of rebar threw those holes, get some meat hangers, and hang me some split chickens, butts, briskets, and ribs. I bet I could hang 12 to 14 half chickens in there.

Patrick_CT

That is an awesome build. I like the red! Are you going to cover the holes during normal smoking? I have seen other pics and comments that people put magnetic strips to cover them... I have been thinking about doing the same thing.

Big Poppa

Administrator
the magnetic strips work ok but get hot when you have to adjust them and get brittle they arent long term....Im very interested in the hanging....keep me in the loop I may have the engineers tackle this next....we have a combo water pan deflector coming that is super cool

Patrick_CT

Man BP you need to stop making new toys.... I am starting to run out of money with all the things I never knew I needed until joining your awesome forums! Not to mention all the new clothes I need to buy since the old ones seem to be shrinking. :eek:

meat man

That's hilarious Pat, I don't think you need to worry about covering the holes. You can close the top vent if you wanted to. I can't take credit for the idea, we sell a barrel at the shop that uses this hanging system. It works really well.

Last edited:

BossHawg

Those hole are for hanging meat. I am going to put a couple pieces of rebar threw those holes, get some meat hangers, and hang me some split chickens, butts, briskets, and ribs. I bet I could hang 12 to 14 half chickens in there.

I can hang 10 half chickens in mine (probably more). Can do up to 12 Tri Tips as well. Just built my second drum and plan on doing fund raisers at the kids' school. We live in the sticks and there are no restaurants within 20 miles of my kid's school. Gonna do drive up chickens and Tri Tips for families on Fridays and for Monday Night Football. Hanging meat in these things comes out great and you can cook a bunch. I use 6 3/4" meat hooks to hang them. Got the meat hooks off of Ebay for 1.96 a piece.

Top Bottom