Bear

meatball

Has anyone tried smoking bear meat. I am curious what cuts you could smoke and how to go about it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum meatball. I've never smoked bear before, but I think I would treat it the same as pork. It needs to be fully cooked. A shoulder might work, just like you would do a pork butt. Low and slow. If you try it, post your results.

Last edited:

sparky

cook 275 for 2 hours, FL (foil, butter, honey, brown sugar) for 1 and then unwrap and pour juice back over bear meat. cook until done. ummmm.

Greatscott!

I recently read that the few cases of trichinosis still being reported each year in the US come from the more exotic game meats and bear was called out specifically. Just saying make sure you hit your temps! Love to hear how it goes!

Salmonsmoker

I recently read that the few cases of trichinosis still being reported each year in the US come from the more exotic game meats and bear was called out specifically. Just saying make sure you hit your temps! Love to hear how it goes!

Thanks for the backup GS, thats why I said it needs to be treated like pork. My folks operated a tourist camp in NW Ontario when I was a kid. I remember eating bear, but don't remember what it tasted like. I do remember them coming out of the woods at night and sitting on the porch and eating the dog's food with the dish cupped in their paws. Just a screen door between them and us:eek:...then we had to re-build the porch.:mad: Bears...you can't live with 'em and you can't put 'em in a sack.

BossHawg

Bear is good just as long as it has been eating berries or acorns. If its a fish bear, it tastes awful. When cooking/ bbq just treat it as you would a pork shoulder or roast. Low n slow wheteher its in a crockpot or drum. Ive only ever done it in a crockpot. A lot of old timers here swear by bear. However, most of us here now send our bears up to Taylor Meats in Oregon to get peperoni sticks made out of it. Outstanding!!! I plan on trying the drum this year on a bear shoulder as well. Let me know how it goes.

bkleinsmid

As BoosHawg said, if it is a salmon bear, not sure you would want to give it to your dog......I think your dog would stink also.
A berry diet is perfect for bear meat though. Cook like a pork shoulder and you should be good to go. Season it a bit more like beef.
send in some pictures if you can.

Brad

Top Bottom