Drum preparation...

ajstrider

I'd like to hear about what you guys did to get your drum ready to be converted. Mine is brand new, inside looks like plain metal with no lining, outside is painted. Did you guys do a high temperature burn and melt the paint off the outside, sand it off, pay someone to sandblast it off? Is it even necessary to get rid of the outside paint if you are only doing under 350F smoking?

Thanks guys

Kevinish

I wouldn't count on the paint lasting even if you never go over 350, although you could always try and then remove it later if it starts to peel. Some people have had success with doing burnouts to remove the paint, although your best bet would be to sandblast. I think some people have got it done for about $40. If the inside is plain steel, then all you need is to do a burn out and then rub on some crisco or something like it to give it a good seasoning on the first run. Enjoy!

Salmonsmoker

I bought a used barrel and the business knew I was making a drum smoker and stripped the outside paint off for me as part of their service. I washed the outside with soap and water and good rinse then applied Rustoleum high heat primer and high heat paint(1200F)
It's starting to crack and peel after 4 uses. Will need to do a little research to see what the problem is, but for sure at some point i'm going to need a re-do.

sparky

i painted high temp paint right over the green it was. if it peels i don't care. it is a UDS. lol.....

ursulasbirth082.jpg

Patrick_CT

I burned mine out, but that is because it was food grade with a liner... The outside was collateral damage which I had plan to paint anyway. After the burn it almost all bubbled off. I pressure washed it and scrubbed with a coarse pad and washed again.

I used the Rust-oleam High heat flat black and it has had no issues with pealing about about 10 cooks, some high heat for chicken and steak.

Greatscott!

I think you can count on the outer paint to not survive too many firings, and if the undercoat is bound to crack, peel, or blister, it doesn't really matter what temp rating gets put on top of it. I intend to sandblast my drum inside and out, mostly because I've got the dreaded red gunk on the inside and I just don't feel like spending a whole weekend or three wirebrushing the carbon and such. Well worth my time to pay for someone to strip it to bare metal in a few minutes. But I am going to wait until I'm ready to do the full build -- I don't want the bare metal to sit around too long and rust before it's re-painted and seasoned.

Top Bottom