problem w/ family

sparky

ok, well. my family doesn't like the taste of the food off the drum. foods cooked probably and seasoned well but they say it taste funny. it taste like it was cooked over a campfire. there is a taste that is different compared to cooking w/ charcoal (kingford comp) on the hasty bake or the weber. i like the food but i do notice the food does taste different. i'm using a heat deflector (pizza pan w/ holes drilled in it). thinking of using a full pizza pan so no drippings hit the fire. family is boycotting Ursula. :( i'll go get a bigger pizza pan today.

southga

My wife doesn't like that "campfire" taste either. I also had to cut way back on the amount of wood I used for flavoring on the drum compared to what I used in my offset.

I cooked some chicken with a water pan , RO lump & no wood & she liked it. I also did chicken legs in a butter bath with one fist size chunk of peach & she liked that. I did ribs on the top rack over butts in a pan again with peach wood & she approved. She doesn't like the heavy smoke flavor from pecan or hickory. She does like the mild flavor from peach.

sparky

What can I say....Ill ship that stainless to another soul....hahahahah

Ill call you and talk it through

don't do that. i not giving up on Ursula. going to get a bigger pizza pan. so no drippings hit the fire. i like the drum.

Big Poppa

Administrator
its not the drippings its the smoke they dont like trust the poppa here. the comp is leaving a funny taste. They are programmed for pellet smoke....

cowgirl

I agree with BP, it's not the drippings. Hope you work it out Sparky, I'd hate to see you give up on drum cooking!

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Try without any flavor wood pellets etc, so you can determine if it is the charcoal or wood smoke that they don't like.

sparky

i've been using just kingford comp charcoal. i have been using pellet packets and peach wood. i will try lump like BP told me to w/ out any pellets or wood.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Sparky beware or lump it can produce the same flavor your trying to get away from. Try just using the kingsford alone.

BigDummy

My wife is a picky eater and after my first Kamado Joe, she started loving the lump coal taste, after I built my drum, she likes that even better. I use a basket of lump, usually lazzari oak, with a few hunks of hickory, peach or pecan in it. I also have a diffuser made from the lid of the drum, resting on top of the basket. It lays down better smoke than any of the pits I have owned.

Top Bottom