Who's who

sparky

sparky n da house. :p glad to be here w/ BP's drum smoking forum. i'm looking forward to this site. drum smoking if very new to me but i'm looking forward to mastering it. pellet smoking is cool but i love getting lump dust on my hands. great fire and great smell. love me some lump. :cool:

oh, i'm from northern california. i own Lucile (mak 2 star), Hazel (HB gourmet, sparky style (no glass)) and Ursula (UDS).

ok, who are ya'll?

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im here and trying to get it set up! Need the different sections and such! Thanks for being here spark I dont know who most of these admins are either!

Kevinish

Hey All, I work for Big Poppa at his Music Man Factory as an engineer. I also worked on his new drum smoker kit. I can't wait to learn from all the good cooks that I know will fill this site. I've been drum smoking for a couple years now, but I need to branch out my skills.

-Kevin

BossHawg

Hey all. BossHawg of the Badlands is here. Just built an ugly drum smoker last month. Been having fun with it and hope to get some tips. I agree with you Sparky, lump charcoal is the only way to go especially if you've got some chunks of old apple tree wood to throw in. I own a Bradley Digital Smoker, a Webber kettle, a Blackstone grill/ griddle, a Kenmore Elite gas grill, and of course, the UDS. Planning on buying a Cuban Style Pig Roaster next year.

roburado

Hey. I'm Rob.

I follow Big Poppa around the internet. I join his forums. I spend money on stuff that Big Poppa has to sell, because it's always top-notch. So, are his companies. I have way too many of his guitars thanks to his wonderful Ernie Ball/Music Man staff and his wonderful Music Man artists. In fact, one guitar just arrived last week while I was out-of-town. I just opened the box and played it for the first time this afternoon. Another is coming in the next couple of months. Yes, I'm crazy.

I knew BP was a damn good cook. I knew he'd be a quality guy to deal with with quality people around him. So, yeah. I followed him into the pellet smoking world, bigpoppasmokers.com, and pelletsmoking.com.

I have never drum-smoked anything. In fact, I never smoked any food until I saw BP's videos on pellet smoking and knew I had to have a MAK 2-Star just like BP. Now, I'm here hoping to learn more about cooking from BP and friends. Who knows? I may become a drum smoker too.

BP, any instructional videos planned?

Last edited:

BossHawg

Thanks Roburado!! This forum should be fun. So far I've done bunches of hanging chicken, a twice smoked ham, two shoulders for pulled pork, and tri-tip is next. Kevinish, nice job on the UDS setup. I'm going to build a second smoker and will be using the Big Poppa setup next.

drewbixcubed

Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty excited about this forum, noting that I LOVE cooking & especially Smoking, but was more of a lurker on the other sister sites b/c my only tool was a drum! However, I too work for BP with Kevinish and am looking forward to having some fun here!

Patrick_CT

Hi All, I am also a pellet grill lover who is going to build a UDS. Now that BP has a kit I have more motivation. I also convinced my neighbor that this would be a fun project. We are looking for the drums locally and will both build them.

Is one rack in it enough or would it be batter to have two?
I also was curious if a water bowl is used by anyone in side them?

Thanks, Patrick

Kevinish

Hi All, I am also a pellet grill lover who is going to build a UDS. Now that BP has a kit I have more motivation. I also convinced my neighbor that this would be a fun project. We are looking for the drums locally and will both build them.

Is one rack in it enough or would it be batter to have two?
I also was curious if a water bowl is used by anyone in side them?

Thanks, Patrick

I think having 2 racks is kind of nice because it gives you the option to put a water pan or baffle on the lower rack, which you can set on the upper U-bolts. Or you can do something like Jim and mount both racks up high and use a dome lid. I've cooked for up to 30 people on one rack and I haven't needed more space. However, when I did a turkey I used the lower rack and then some spacers so the turkey would fit.

tugnut1

Hello,

I'm John and I do not own a drum smoker yet. I've been getting into grilling and smoking for the past few years now. Right now I have a Kettle Grill with a Smokenator to allow me to do some smoking. I just found out about UDS this summer and I plan to make one in the near future. I love the taste of smoke and have been playing around with Ribs, Pork Butts, Brisket and just last week, I made some Armadillo Eggs. I found the recipe for the Armadillo eggs on Big Pappa's site. Man were they good. I made one change though. I wrapped half of them in slab bacon. Much better.

318849_286317148141973_1535948751_n.jpg

I am here and broke my drum out of storage last weekend to cook some fish. I am going to smoke a 100lbs. of pork butts Saturday night on the drum as well.

Big Poppa

Administrator
WOw I want pics Steph No Vista? For those of you who dont know Steph is the father oand owner of Simply Marvelous rubs!

squirtthecat

Look what the cat dragged in..

I don't have a drum, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what all you guys/gals crank out on one!

So forgive me if I lurk. :cool:

BiteMeBBQ

Rob
You're not crazy! Maybe just not monitored (code for wife)
I have two guitars,two basses,a P.A. system and three smokers. Seems pretty normal to me.:)

Left Coast Q

Good to be here at yet another BPS quality production..Sterling you don't rest do you..anyway got my drum kit here just waiting to be spanked together..been busy work ing getting ready for Vista this weekend so when I get the time that puppy is gonna get put together and put to use..I know most of you guys here already so for those that don't my name is Matt and our team is Left Coast Q..we compete all over the place just like the BPS crew..well I'll post back when I get the drum up.

Top Bottom