Working on building my own UDS...

ajstrider

I've decided to build one of these things, and I happen to work in a chemical factory with an enormous storeroom of parts at my disposal so I am trying to do this using as much free goodies as possible. I will post pictures as I go along on this project.

sparky

right on. i'm lovin using Ursula. drums are very cool and don't use much fuel at all. temp control is so easy.

ajstrider

Step 2, build an ugly charcoal basket!

I went to Home Depot and purchased a 24x24" piece of expanded metal, 3/4" spread variety. I used some tin snips, pretty hard to snip, but it worked and made roughly a 12x12x6" basket. I used some 1/4" diameter, 3/4" length stainless steel bolts and washers to hold the sides together. I then got some 1/4" diameter, 3" long bolts and washers to make the standoffs on the bottom. I used a 5/16" diameter , roughly 7" long stainless eyebolt to use as the center piece to grab with a hook. Everything I used was stainless steel, I was careful not to buy any galvanized or zinc, which are popular out there. I may add a ash pan later, I haven't found exactly what I would like to use for one, so as it stands this is my basket. It stands just a hair under 3" tall.

120909_003.jpg

120909_001.jpg

Top Bottom