Tips on Drum Cooking

Big Poppa

Administrator
The drum thermometer is cooler than the center of the grate. Keep that in mind when cooking. One of the most common issues for a newbie on a drum is for example cooking ribs at 275 on the thermometer....they find that the ribs cook too fast and maybe a little burning at the center. They reach for a pizza pan or some sort of diy deflector plate. Thats fine but you can cook without those and get the benefit of the fat dripping on the coals and the flavor hitting the meat by just understanding that if you want it at 275 in the center then you probably want the thermometer to read about 235-240.

Since you know that the outside is cooler on the grate than the center...do you initial cooking on the outside ring
IMG_0244-9.jpg

IMG_0187-6.jpg

IMG_0171-8.jpg

and finish on the center
IMG_0194-4.jpg

IMG_0175-8.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

For saucing.... Sauce can be intentionally carmelized, it can bet set and can be sauced after removal. Do not use the firebasket in the raised position...you will burn the sugars way too fast. If you choose to sauce on the pit then go ahead and let the coals ignite in the lower basket position and watch carefully. I usually sauce right after pulling the meat. If I want to set the sauce it is on the grate on the edges and with the fire low and the lid closed for just a minute.

Greatscott!

BP, do you usually raise the firebasket to upper position for non-sauce sear? Or just go wide on the vents with the lid off and charcoal still down low?

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
it depends on how rapidly and hot i want to finish the cook you really dont need to touch the bottom vents if you take the lid off....

fwidsmoker

Re: Tips on Drum Cooking: pizza pan

I'm hoping to find the balance between letting the drippings hit the coals and also serve as a heat deflector by drilling some 3/4 holes...we'llsee

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk 2

johnbarclay

The drum thermometer is cooler than the center of the grate. Keep that in mind when cooking. One of the most common issues for a newbie on a drum is for example cooking ribs at 275 on the thermometer....they find that the ribs cook too fast and maybe a little burning at the center. They reach for a pizza pan or some sort of diy deflector plate. Thats fine but you can cook without those and get the benefit of the fat dripping on the coals and the flavor hitting the meat by just understanding that if you want it at 275 in the center then you probably want the thermometer to read about 235-240.

Since you know that the outside is cooler on the grate than the center...do you initial cooking on the outside ring
IMG_0244-1.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

and finish on the center
IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0175-1.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

For saucing.... Sauce can be intentionally carmelized, it can bet set and can be sauced after removal. Do not use the firebasket in the raised position...you will burn the sugars way too fast. If you choose to sauce on the pit then go ahead and let the coals ignite in the lower basket position and watch carefully. I usually sauce right after pulling the meat. If I want to set the sauce it is on the grate on the edges and with the fire low and the lid closed for just a minute.

Look delicious!...

Top Bottom