Drum is built and smoking!

Patrick_CT

My neighbor and I decided to build these together and after finally finding a guy that had food grade barrels for sale we ordered out kits.
We could not find a place to sandblast it near us so we decided to drill all the holes on drum and have a couple bonfires.
WE have to admit the drilling was a little more work than we thought, but after a few beers it went much smoother.
P1090887.jpg

All drilled out:
P1090889.jpg

Added a bunch of wood (and the packing paper came in handy
IMG_0947.jpg

Added a little of our inner Redneck to stoke the fire;
IMG_0948.jpg

Paint pealing right off and the inside is flaking off:
P1090892.jpg

After a couple hours we put the lids on to let them also feel the burn.
Next afternoon:
IMG_0949.jpg

We both pressure washed inside and out really well. The inside was very clean after this. I used a sanding pad to go through the entire inside and washed it again.
While I was at work my wife spray painted the barrel, it was a really nice surprise!!
I enlisted my 4year old to help assemble:
IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

And most importantly he went inside to reach all the bottom --He dd awesome and even yelled at me for moving the screw too much on the outside.. haha.
IMG_0970.jpg

And done!
IMG_0979.jpg

All in all it went together really well. We were both excited about how everything lined up and how well the bottle opener functioned!

Patrick_CT

I seasoned the drum with Crisco and a paint brush to get it all covered well.

First cook was baby backs. I normally always foil but I decided to let them be with nothing other that some glue (CYM and BP LL w/pepper, habanero garlic dust and a some chipotle flakes.
IMG_0981.jpg

Started the chimney (love this thing)
IMG_0980.jpg

Drum holding about 250 and added the rids:
IMG_0982.jpg

Added some tomatoes, onions and bell pepper to be added to the rice later:
IMG_0985.jpg

About 4.5 hours or so the ribs had a nice bend to them without falling apart. Temp stayed about 240 the whole time.
IMG_0986.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture, but they came out really good. Completely different flavor than from the MAK.
IMG_0988.jpg

We are going to like this thing!!!!

sparky

really nice build pat. i like the black matte on your drum. it looks good. great 1st cook buddy. your ribs look great. welcome to the fold my friend.

Kevinish

Looks great! Nice build! Drums come in different thicknesses and if you get a thick one they can hard to drill. But the thick ones can hold temp a little better too!

Paul B

I seasoned the drum with Crisco and a paint brush to get it all covered well.

First cook was baby backs. I normally always foil but I decided to let them be with nothing other that some glue (CYM and BP LL w/pepper, habanero garlic dust and a some chipotle flakes.
IMG_0981.jpg

Started the chimney (love this thing)
IMG_0980.jpg

Drum holding about 250 and added the rids:
IMG_0982.jpg

Added some tomatoes, onions and bell pepper to be added to the rice later:
IMG_0985.jpg

About 4.5 hours or so the ribs had a nice bend to them without falling apart. Temp stayed about 240 the whole time.
IMG_0986.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture, but they came out really good. Completely different flavor than from the MAK.
IMG_0988.jpg

We are going to like this thing!!!!

Weber chims are great.....BUT once you learn of the dreaded weed burner your weber will take a back seat. Harbor frieght carries them and when they go on sale they are a steal.

Paul B
SS UDS

Top Bottom