Guru and Stoker on the drum high heat

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
First and foremost. A drum smoker does NOT need a fire management device like the Stoker or Guru. I have used them for years with other device including my MAK Grills pellet cooker to monitor temps. Also used on charcoal devices with the fan blowers for fire management.
So I did a little test yesterday with the Stoker and the Guru for high temp cooking. I have been using the Stoker on my drum for weeks and noticed that 300º was the highest controlable temp I could get. If set to 325º the fan would just run all the time. With the Guru the results are 100º higher. It maintained 400º as well as the Stoker did 300º. Both were using their fans rated at 10 CFM. I assume the guru fan put out more then the Stoker. Just a heads up for anyone interested.
I do and will use these devices on most cooks as I can remotely access the cooker on my smart phone with programs like pocket cloud pro. (business sometimes forces me to leave the house for a few hours).Otherwise I would just use the adjustable vent system that works so well on the drum.

Kevinish

Hey Jim, I've been using a guru on my drum lately too. I went camping and started a butt in the morning then went on a hike and just left it running all day while I was out. It was pretty nice. Do you have the new guru with the wifi capabilities? If not, how to you access it via your smart phone?

sparky

good info. i do like doing it myself. i can hold any temp i want w/ just the vents. when you use the guru do you close one vent all the way and hook it up to the other one? there is something that will mount on the drum? can you show me some pic plz? would like to see you set up w/ the guru. xmas is coming.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I am using a cyberQ2 which has a usb interface for your computer. Which allows me to remote access. I use Pocket Cloud Pro to do this with my iPhone.
Sparky your right that with the vents there is no need for a guru type device . My Business is Service Called based, so I never know when I might need to leave for a spell. The remote access keeps my nerves calm when I have a cook going.

southga

It doesn't do all that fancy wireless stuff, but this works like a charm on my drum & was less than $150 including the adapter.

2012-08-18_11-51-09_731.jpg

Top Bottom