check out Ursula's butt

sparky

welp, i have never cooked a butt that was this moist and flavorful in my life.

note: at no time was a water pan involved in this cook.

ya baby, i love Ursula. here's why.

charcoal nest 3/4 way full. dumped some lite charcoal on w/ 3 pieces of peach wood and a oak pellet packet.

8-20-12funstuff002-1.jpg

i'm loving money on my butt (that didn't sound right) and some molasses wouldn't hurt either.

8-20-12funstuff008-1.jpg

pretty.

8-20-12funstuff013.jpg

everyone in the pool.

8-20-12funstuff018.jpg

smokey, smokey.

8-20-12funstuff017.jpg

look at how even the temp gauges are. oh ya, the butt looks good too.

drumbutt002-1.jpg

3 foils + apple juice.

drumbutt003.jpg

pulled and very tasty. i mean real good.

drumbutt007.jpg

i used my maverick and the temp stayed between 247-254 for over 12 hours on this cook. this was the best tasting butt i have ever cooked. i've cooked a few. i really believe that Ursula had ever thing to do w/ it. alot of you ppl are my good friends (you know who you are). get a drum. if you enjoy bbqing like me and i know ya'll do. get yourself a drum. its fun to cook on and very versatile. steaks, burgers, chicken (to die for), potatoes, bacon wrapped corn, ribs and now butts. my last two ribs cooks have been very good. ribs have been very moist and flavorful (yummy^2). its fun.

i didn't get paid or anything to say these things. i'm telling ya'll because i think you would enjoy it like me. for under $200 you can have the best smoker you will ever have. if you want you can name your drums Ursula too. i'm cool w/ it. lol.......

spinny

Sparky, thanks for the info on this cook. Like I posted on Cowgirls thread, doing 2-3 of them this weekend. Is there anything you would do differently next time? How long did it take the pit temp to get down to 250ish? I've only done two cooks on my drum and it seems like a good hour to get the temp down to 250ish. I want to make sure I get up early enough in the morning...probably a 4am wake up call for me, hopefully eat around 7. I'm also guessing it may take longer for 2-3 butts than doing just one. Thanks in advance!

sparky

no, i think this cook turned out pretty good. i controled my pit temp w/ the bottom sliders and i never let it got to hot to start w/. i started later than i wanted to. it cooked about 12 hours. 2 hours rest and pulled. so your time line is good. put put on at 5am and pull it around 5 - 6 pm. rest, your be eating at 7 pm more or less. better get up at 3am. if your getting up that early better have the coffee and baileys ready. it really is a good way to start your day. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom