Anyone ever smoke a turkey ?

Big Poppa

Administrator
go to pelletsmoking.com and search turkey I have a great recipe for traditional turkey ...also check the recipes section here I posted a spatchcock turkey....

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Don't do it!

It is along the lines of deep frying a turkey. How you say, Once you have one smoked, a regular cooked in the oven won't do.

Kevinish

I smoked a couple turkeys a few thanksgivings ago and they turned out really good. Had a nice smoke ring, although some people were wierded out by a pink smoke ring on their turkey, so I had to explain that. I think the best advice I can give is get 2 smaller turkeys instead of one large one. And/or spatchcock them so they cook more evenly. As far as temp, I think i cooked around 275 to 300 most of the time. On on of them I used a Brinkman rotisserie and installed it into the drum, but honestly I don't think it was necessary. Good luck!

cowgirl

I like to spatchcock turkeys for even cooking. Also I usually smoke 12lb turkeys or smaller. If I need more meat I cook two.
They really are tasty on the drum.

Steviez269

I love frying turkeys , it's all I've done for thanksgiving since about 5 years ago . I found a recipe for a smoked deep fried turkey . Think that going to be the one !

Big Poppa

Administrator
the smoked ones are fine all by their lonely I fyou read my turkey article you sill see why smaller turkeys are better...basically by the time you get the turkey to 162 by the bone the outside is about 180 and dry and overcooked

Top Bottom