Thinking of building a drum smoker...

ajstrider

So I purchased a Yoder YS640 pellet grill and with the help of the sister site, have made some excellent food. But I am now looking into getting into the more classical (?) style of cooking with charcoal to branch out and have some fun! I like the idea of building my own drum smoker using Big Poppa's kit but am looking for some advice.

Starting the charcoal...
How much charcoal are you guys lighting to get it going? How full is the basket for say a 10 hour run?

Grate questions....
Is it basically a Weber 22.5" kettle grill grate so I could put my hinged-side grate on it instead and have easy access to adding more wood on top of the charcoal if I wanted?

Thanks guys!

sparky

Starting the charcoal...
How much charcoal are you guys lighting to get it going? How full is the basket for say a 10 hour run?

Grate questions....
Is it basically a Weber 22.5" kettle grill grate so I could put my hinged-side grate on it instead and have easy access to adding more wood on top of the charcoal if I wanted?

Thanks guys!

i like about 15 coals in my chimney and then dump them in my charcoal nest. i only use one layer or so in my nest for chicken or ribs. that little amount of charcoal will last 4+ hours (i've gotten 6 hour burn at 240 w/ very little charcoal). the drum uses very little charcoal. i just cooked a butt yesterday on Ursula. i only filled my nest 3/4 way full (maybe a 1/4 bag). i ran a solid 247-252 for a entire 14 hours (butt only took 12). i have two grates on my drum. neither opens up. i use pellet packets or chucks of wood on the charcoal nest. no need to add more. i'm looking at getting the new weber grate (open in the middle w/ either a wok, griddle, pizza stone or cast iron grates for great grills marks). hopefully i will get it for my b'day. it would really open alot of options w/ the drum. since i have gotten the drum i am looking at getting another one.

Last edited:

Steviez269

I use a 1/3 chimney , about 15-18 pieces to start , I have a 30 pound capacity basket I built out of 3/4 expanded metal , a pizza pan and a weber 22.5 charcoal grate , I cook for days in advance for my parties , and I've had my drum do 2 11lb butts at almost 17 hours for the pair , 12 racks of ribs at 5-7 hours for 6 racks at a time and 8 whole chickens , 4 at a time for 2 1/2 hours . And miscellaneous veggies , wings , fruits ect. The day of , I start cooking Friday morning and finish Sunday afternoon on one full basket . It's that efficient . 5 pounds will get my ribs done in 5-7 hours .

sparky

I use a 1/3 chimney , about 15-18 pieces to start , I have a 30 pound capacity basket I built out of 3/4 expanded metal , a pizza pan and a weber 22.5 charcoal grate , I cook for days in advance for my parties , and I've had my drum do 2 11lb butts at almost 17 hours for the pair , 12 racks of ribs at 5-7 hours for 6 racks at a time and 8 whole chickens , 4 at a time for 2 1/2 hours . And miscellaneous veggies , wings , fruits ect. The day of , I start cooking Friday morning and finish Sunday afternoon on one full basket . It's that efficient . 5 pounds will get my ribs done in 5-7 hours .

dude, where are the pics partner. you cook that much food i want to see. ;)

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Full basket all the time. what is not used will snuff out when vents are closed. It can use a Weber hinged grate. (What I use). The Kit is the way to go. Try to get a stainless drum. They will last forever and you will want it to.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey dont forget me!

The truth is that the pellets are off the charts...so versitile

but this is off the charts in a different way...just great cookin and flavor

Top Bottom