Best charcoal and best lump

Steviez269

I've used a number of charcoals , but I keep going back to original kingsford . I know there are better charcoals , I just don't know what kind . I want less ash for long cooks and lump is good for that . But all the lumps I've used seem to have extremely small chips and the chunks break easily . Any suggestions would be awesome !

sparky

i use the kingford comp. i like it. BP told me to use it. good long burn w/ it. got tired of buying 10 pounds of lump w/ 2-3 lbs of dust. 18 pounds of kingsford is exactly what you get. 18 pounds. happy times. :)

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I have used both types of Kingsford Blue bag and the red comp bags. When I can get the comp bags they are the first choice. But on Labor day if the blue bags go on sale I will buy some of it.

Greatscott!

Where do guys get Kingsford Competition this time of year? It seems like it's all over in the spring but I haven't seen it in stores the last couple weeks I've been paying attention (aside from ordering online, of course).

Steviez269

I've never seen the comp briquettes in any store in Massachusetts , if you ask for it , they tell me your better off ordering online .

Steviez269

Ive been doing some reading and I'm thinking of a lump/briquette mix to up my temp a bit . I think it will help with the ash issue a bit too

Steviez269

This weekend when I fired up the UDS , I tried both "wicked good charcoal" brand lump
And natures own hardwood all natural non chemically made or binded briquettes , both have better burn times than kingsford , way less ash , and better heat . The wicked good lump was great on the weber kettle for steaks ! The lump is mostly large pieces as well . I have found a happy spot in the smoker by mixing 2/3 lump with 1/3 briquette for great flavor and less than half the ash of kingsford alone . And it's all readily available at a local butcher and local BBQ competition store owner !

Top Bottom