BBQ Vortex

cjarchow

Has anyone used the BBQ vortex that big poppa sells? I was chatting with customer service (excellent by the way!!!) and was asking some questions about this. Anybody got any experience??

swamprb

I have heard and seen nothing but good things about the Vortex. Mostly from WKC members. Being the cheapa$$ pit hacking bastard that I am, I made my own Hillbilly Vortex out of a stainless steel steam table insert from BiznessCostco. I cut it up and got 2 Vortex cones out of it. One for the 18" Cajun Bandit and the other for the Performer. Here are some of the cooks I've done with it to simulate the real deal.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.807036462710837.1073741844.116187658462391&type=3

I haven't used them in my BGE's, but I suspect if you are using the BPS basket in the upper position, the Vortex would be excellent for short hot grilling sessions!

cjarchow

Thanks for the reply. I received it yesterday and am looking forward to trying it out. The picture they have of what I think is a kettle grill with the chicken wings around the edge of the grill is what got me. Seems like an application that will work well with a drum too even though I am already making the best chicken wings I ever have since I started cooking on the BPS. I will test it out in the next few days and see what happens.

GA1dad

I made my own as well. I've used it a few times in the "meat outside the ring" configuration. Love the high searing, indirect heat it generates. It appears to me that good airflow is key in reaching optimal temps.

cjarchow

Tried out the vortex a couple of times this weekend. I used it with the basket in the upper position and the little end of the cone pointed up with lump inside the cone. Temps directly above were about 550 degrees give or take. The thermometer on the side of the drum was about 300 degrees. Kinda nice because it gave me more indirect area around the edge of the drum and I didn't have to pull the meat and wait on the coals to get hot as hell to do a reverse sear because the center was ready already. Steak came out great Saturday and then chicken wings yesterday came out with a nice crispy skin just the way I like them.

Top Bottom