Build Questions

richsilv

My Drum is sitting out on the Patio...
My Kit is sitting nearby...

And my schedule is such that I cant work on the project for at least a couple of weeks.... <Can you hear my Primal Scream?>

But anyway... Some questions and decisions I've made...

• Sand Blasting - I need to get it done anyway for the Powder Coating... But after reading through a few posts, I'm going to have the inside sandblasted as well (Here in LA, I think my neighbors might take exception to a huge bonfire in a Barrel on my Front Patio!)
  • Exterior Finish - Even though the provider recommends against it, I have decided to get the project Powder Coated (wish me luck)
  • Additional Grill - I cook a lot of ribs, chicken, and fish... So I've decided to add a second Grill rack... Above the "Stock" location.
  • Grill Mounting - Noticed that the Instructions suggest four mounting screws for the Grill support... Now, I know that if I give Murphy that much leeway, my grill will wobble... Is there any reason that I cannot use just three screws to support the Grill... I intend to back up the screws with a washer for a bit of added stability...
  • BBQ Guru - I am adding a "Universal BBQ Guru" adapter (I have an iQue control) to one side or the other (The iQue hangs from a handle...)
  • Weber Kettle Lid and "ring" - If any of my searches and replies on Craigs List bear any fruit (or I find one in a local Yard Sale) I am adding the "Weber Lip" to the barrel so I can use the Domed Lid... (and my Rotisserie Ring as well...). Are people bolting the lip on? Or welding it?
  • Mobility - I "found" a small Furniture Dolly that seems to fit the bottom of the drum perfectly... Based on other's comments, I am stripping it of its Carpet covering (heat/fire issue)... And finding some sort of Cement Board (or the like; insulation) to put between the Dolly and the bottom of the Barrel...

So far those are my intentions... Please feel free to comment away, I love collaboration!

Its terrible to be sitting here thinking of what I might do instead of being able to actually make actual progress on the project... Yes, I have already decided to spend 5 minutes here, 10 there... Mark it today... Drill some of the holes tomorrow... Etcetera...

Thanx for listening...

Salmonsmoker

Richsilv, the only problem I see with the 3 screws vs. 4 is; the direct line between any 2 of the screws is the "balance point". Although you have the weight of the grill to overcome, if food that's heavy enough is outside that line the grill is going to flip up and you'll be digging it off the bottom of the barrel. 4 screws moves the balance point much closer to the outside of the grill. For heat protection I used 1/2" Hardibacker.

DjPorkchop

Actually I have 2 drums. 1 has 3 bolts for grill rack and the other has 4. The one with 3 bolts has no wobble on the grill rack. The one with 4 has wobble. I find with 4 bolts if you dont get them drilled and mounted exact, the rack wobbles. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

richsilv

Finally I am able to put some time in on this project...

Got the Drum back from the Sand Blaster ($40)
And back from the Powder Coater ($190)

And I've added some accents with Rattle Cans...

20150905_163416_cmp.jpg

I am starting up the first batch of coals for a burn in right now...

Last edited:

richsilv

Now, as far as my adds...

Using only three points for the Grill Racks seems really stable, I am not too worried about dumping food off the grills...

I did add a second set of screws roughly 4 inches up from the standard level... I picked 1/4 x 1 1/4 screws... Now I am wishing I had used maybe 1 inch... Or maybe 3/4... Getting the grill past the extra screws takes a bit of coordination.... (And given how much Beer I might have drank while playing.. Maybe I should make it easy?)...

I haven't bothered trying to figure out how to add hook capability yet... I'll need that at some time for hanging fish...

And I haven't chosen a Smoke/Heat diffuser/dissipater (use whatever term you like) there is a grill on Amazon I like that is mostly cast iron and I'll probably go with that...

I did add a "Universal" BBQ Guru attachment (although my Temp Control is an iQue)... I wish I had thought this out a bit more and instead of drilling one huge hole for the unit... Had drilled 4 holes the same size as that in the Unit itself... And a small hole for the screw... It would have made installation a snap... and I'd not have had to fill in gaps with a bunch of RTV (since my wife and I managed to not center the vent over the hole very well... and it was such a pain in the a$s that we may not decide to fix it...)

The Temp on the unit is right at 275 degrees without my doing anything...

richsilv

One interesting thing I have noticed now that I am on my second batch of charcoal in the Drum...

The Lid starts out a little warped... And definitely "leaks" as things are warming up...
A while later (maybe 30 to 45 minutes later) the Lid has sealed itself to the Drum...
I can literally lift the drum by the handle on the top...

I am planning on adding some Fiberglass "Furnace Rope" to the lid... I think that will help the initial seal when things are starting and also alleviate the "sticking" I am experiencing once the Drum is up to Temp...

Last edited:

richsilv

I think another interesting conversation could be had over "Fitting the Lid"...

I had my Drum (and Lid) powder coated...

I am now scraping off some of the Powder Coating inside the Drum and in the rim of the Lid to get the Lid to fit better... (Currently my Lid doesn't fit well when cold... There are a few "places" it "pops" instead of sitting flat...)

Has anyone else had this issue?

I wonder if there is a value to a FAQ about "Common Issues when you make certain choices about your Drum"?

I am also looking into a different "kettle lid" for the Drum... Not a "Weber" lid... But the "Weber Smokey Mountain" lid... Unlike the Weber lid, this one fits inside... Anyone got experience with this?

Last edited:

Salmonsmoker

Cool paint job richsilv. My lid doesn't fit that well, but don't worry about it too much. Air flow is from bottom to top so there's very little, if any air getting to the coals.

richsilv

Under the Category of "What the Flip?"

Was getting things ready for my second round of actually cooking things...

When I discovered (literally) roughly a gallon of water in the bottom of my Drum!!!

Now, I will admit that I didn't clean up after the last (TriTip) cooking... I just shut down all the vents... Waited for things to cool off... Then covered the Drum with a (couple of years old, but its not crispy yet) Cover (I think its the cover from my retired MasterBuilt... Sort of a coated Nylon thing). And walked away...

A week later....

Yes, we had at least one rainy day... And there's been Tropical Storms off of Baja which always throws moisture our way...

And my neighbor likes to water my yard (overspray) when he waters his (although I think that the Drum should have been "out of range"...

But a Gallon?

So my plan this week is to make sure the lid is down "hard" (mine can stick, so Hard is actually possible...
Should I also put like a plastic garbage bag over the drum before I cover it with the "more official" Grill Cover?

I am truly mystified... I would not have been surprised for things to be moist inside... But not what I found!

Any other advice?

Top Bottom