Painting

Salmonsmoker

Check the directions for the paint you're using. Some high temp paints don't use a primer. If using a primer it'll need to be high temperature too.

DrumDumb

The high temp paint around me as Krylon. Up to 1200 degrees i think. No primer required. It is holding up very well so far.

richsilv

Has anyone tried any of the VHT products? I (think) Krylon Hi-Temp only comes in "Basic Black" and I was hoping (in my early, the kit is on its way and I don't even have a Barrel yet, enthusiasm) to do something a little more, uh, interesting... Nothing ambitious, but I was thinking some "old school" Hot Rod Flames...

(Long ago, I had a lot of trouble with Prep for VHT products, unless you were very, very careful the coating would peel during that first curing heat up (Auto Headers)... I have not used any of their products recently...

Salmonsmoker

I used VHT paint the first time on one of my drums. It started to rust through the paint during the first winter. I live in the Pacific NW, so we get a lot of rain in the winter. The drum stays under an overhang when not in use.

Top Bottom