Race day pork loin

Chili Head

My inaugural cook on the new stainless drum is a piece of pork loin I had left over in the freezer. So why not smoke it up for the nascar race today and have a smoked pork loin sandwich with some homemade mustard based Carolina sauce.
The first thing I noticed with the stainless drum is the temps don't fluctuate as much when taking the lid off as they did with my other drum. With the old drum I had to be quick getting the lid off and on or temps would really go up fast. With this one the temp actually went down when I removed the lid.
That's cool!
Ok here we go. I got up early and fired up some kingsford blue.
I rubbed the loin with some homemade rub I got from a guy I work with. It tastes a lot like head country. I put the lit coals and some apple wood chunks along one edge of the basket and the loin went on the opposite side. I let it cook for three hours then foiled it with some parkay, more rub and some apple juice. I let it go another couple hours then out of the foil and let it ride another hour while basting every 20 minutes with the liquid from the foil.
Man the loin came out GOOD.
I'm liking this drum! It's very steady with the temps and easy to manage.
I love this kit BP!

Here's some pics.
dc6125d2788ba1f5449d53e4a1098c74.jpg

4660160af43d4b35bfdaaf2c31f9a2fa.jpg

53cd7a4181297dedfe861f82dd92c943.jpg

b699ee8c05aadaca9a2bc2a506de671e.jpg

smokeasaurus

I did notice that my temps ran higher on my first couple of cooks but now they have ran lower on the same settings. I attribute that to the seasoning building up on the inside of the drum.

Top Bottom