Snake River Farms Brisket

smokeasaurus

Woke up at 3 am to get the drum ready for a SRF Wagyu/Kobe brisket.......I told Wendy I did not have to set the alarm...the call of the Que is all I need:cool:

My little BBQ buddy woke up with me. Don't ask, but whenever he hangs around I get good results.
0503150334_zpsig4ufprd.jpg

Rubbed the briskie down with Secret Seasoning a couple of days ago and it is looking good
0503150355a_zpsycac3eaz.jpg

I left the vents open to the drum and the darn thing was still at 200 degrees at 3 am. I started the drum the previous day for the rib cook at 9 am. Holy Cow, a full basket stayed lit for 18 hours...outrageous

The temp gauge says 175 so I figure the center grate temp is round 225 so we are ready to go. I used a blend of wood chips again mixed throughout the charcoal. I have always had real good luck with chips in the basket. I used to lay splits on top of my coal but the drippings would actually keep the splits from smoking. I would bury chunks in the coal but my burn times wouldn't be as long (long enough though) but I would have to much of a smokey flavor. Smoke should be another layer of flavor, not the dominate one. So the chips really do the trick.

There is no shortage of smoke on this cool mountain morning :cool:
0503150359_zpsqcfg352e.jpg

smokeasaurus

The coffee did taste good. I am normally not outside at that time. This is usually the time that all the critters are running around including black bears. Our wood cutter said we have a mountain lion in the area the last couple of weeks. That is why I do not use my off-set for long cooks. Just too iffy to be out all night. The drum is going to enable me to cook all night while staying safe in the house.

Chili Head

I've never thought about safety while being out in the night here in Illinois. I sure wouldn't want a bear walking up to check out what's cooking.

smokeasaurus

They have been really active around here the last couple of weeks. They have been hitting everyones trash cans almost every morning. Our neighbor down the way says there is a big bob-cat wandering around and both the trash man and the wood cutter two doors down say they have seen a mountain lion..................when dusk hits, we are either on the rear deck or locked in the house.
Here is a shot of our backyard.....nothing but forest.......
0503151102_zpsitczhazv.jpg

Chili Head

I would trade the Illinois flat lands for forest land any day!
Yeah you gotta be careful. It would be cool seeing the wildlife in your yard but you gotta respect their wild animal instinct. The most dangerous animals we have here in Illinois are coyotes and bobcats. I've seen many coyotes while pheasant and deer hunting but I've only seen one bobcat.

smokeasaurus

9 hours and the brisket is done. 5 hours fat cap down. Then 2 hours fat cap up. Finished off with fat cap down for 2 more hours. I never checked the temps, I just went off the probe going in and out of the meat. When is went in and out like warm butter, I knew it was done.
0503151228_zpspyre7qzx.jpg

It is now wrapped in parchment paper and a big towel resting................

smokeasaurus

Had to rest the brisket for a couple of hours. This type of brisket cooks way faster than the select grades I usually cook.
The texture,tenderness and flavor was off the hook.
0503151611_zpsdamhuniu.jpg

The drum held rock solid temps throughout the cook. The bark on both sides was just darn tasty.

Thanks for looking at Smokes cooking :D

DrumDumb

That looks damn good. I have never done brisket before, but my time is growing near. Did it take longer or shorter than you were planning?

smokeasaurus

This brisket cooked way faster than other briskets I have done. I have only cooked Select grade briskets from Wal-Mart or Staters. This Wagyu/Kobe cross was done in 9 hours with a two hour rest. I never checked temps...just probed......I knew this sucker was going to be done quicker when after only 7 hours it was starting to probe easily.

I will never cook a select brisket again. Of course, at the price of this brisket, I can only do one a year......but it is way worth it.....:cool:

smokeasaurus

Some of the guys on another forum I moderate have been using it for a while. A bunch of Texas Que joints wrap theirs in parchment as well so I grabbed some the other day and it worked out nice. I think it breathes a bit better than foil because I did not lose my bark after a two hour hold. I did use a large blanket wrapped around the parchment wrapped brisket and it was still very hot when I went to slice.

Here is a clip I got from a chow site:

Parchment Paper
This disposable paper is coated in silicone and is often produced with mainly vegetable or biodegradable fibers. Parchment paper acts like Teflon, it’s reusable, and it’s oven and freezer safe.
Do:
Line cookie sheets and cake pans with parchment paper instead of using chemical sprays, butter or other types of cooking “grease” for non-stick methods of baking
Use to wrap fish, vegetables and more for easy steaming
Layer between slices of meat or dough for convenient storage
Use it in the oven, microwave, refrigerator and freezer
Don’t:
Throw it away after one use. Most of the time, parchment can be wiped off and reused until it literally falls apart, making it more environmentally friendly and versatile than wax paper.
For an even more durable product, try a silicone baking mat.

scooter

Staff member
Looks fantastic smokeasaurus. Pretty sure SRF is a wagyu-black angus cross. If it was kobe it would be ~ $200/lb

Big Poppa

Administrator
if you notice with parchment on a cookie sheet the butter gets through....same with the brisket ''This is an extention of the butcher paper I have usd this is comp a few times

Chili Head

Never too old to learn new tricks!
Ive always tossed parchment after one use. Ill have to look into this further.

Top Bottom