Painting and drilling

donnystyles

I'm gonna be a first time builder for the Big Poppa Kit. Just one question. Do I drill the holes first then paint or the other way around. Any advice is much appreciated.

donnystyles

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if this barrel will have any issues with the drilling and assembly? Im just concerned about drilling into the ridges. Most of the UDS I've seen only has the two thick ridges and smooth surfaces in between. PhotoGrid_1429436337492.jpg

Last edited:

Salmonsmoker

It looks like there is enough height at the flat area of the drum bottom for the intake vents to lay flat. That would be the main issue. For the basket supports, grate supports, handles, etc., moving them slightly up or down for the most stable position in the ribbed section would work fine I think. (A few extra stainless steel washers may come in handy for this) The temperature gauge has the biggest base and straddling a rib probably won't work because you'll run out of thread depth, but there might be room to center the hole on the slope of a rib, even if you have to shave a side of the washer off to fit in the ridge and the valley on the inside and outside of your drum. The gauge probe doesn't have to be horizontal, and if the dial hits the barrel when in a vertical position you can turn it upwards until it clears. Use high temp. food grade silicone sealant when installing the intake vents. It's red in color and can be found at your local hardware store or auto supply house.

Top Bottom