Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in my BPS REDRUM

swamprb

I'll admit, I've been one of those that has always cooked direct on my drums and shied away from using any kind of diffuser. In addition to my BPS drum, I've got Big Drum Smoker clones, 15, 30, 55 & 85 gallon cans and love the way they cook.

But when I saw this charcoal basket offered from Hunsaker Smokers, I was intrigued by the design.
Vortex Fire Basket | Hunsaker Vortex Smokers

My teammate and I ordered 2 of them and and I gotta say, they really work great in all my drums, and I even did a cook with it in my 22" WSM with excellent results.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0694_1.jpg

IMG_0700_1.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Hot n' Fast in a flash with this basket!

This is a great basket for those that are not quite thrilled with a heavy "fats dripping on the coals" flavor (that I happen to love BTW) but you still get a milder flavor profile from the fats hitting the diffuser. It takes about 15 minutes to get to turbo temps. And my 85 gallon BDS has never had such good cooks using the Hunsaker Smokers Vortex basket, and the BPS Drum just screams with it!

Feel free to take a look at my photo albums @
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-Hand-Smoke/116187658462391?ref=hl

scooter

Staff member
I've never seen a chicken spatchcocked in that fashion but I agree with Jim, the color is perfect, looks great!

smokeasaurus

I got to talk to Mike over at Hunsaker and almost pulled the trigger on one, but the SS and BPS kit was always in my line of sight.

I am thinking of grabbing one of those baskets from Hunsaker. Does it sit on the bottom of the barrel vs the u-bolts in the BPS drum??

My bad, I saw your pic and answered my own question...

swamprb

I got to talk to Mike over at Hunsaker and almost pulled the trigger on one, but the SS and BPS kit was always in my line of sight.

I am thinking of grabbing one of those baskets from Hunsaker. Does it sit on the bottom of the barrel vs the u-bolts in the BPS drum??

My bad, I saw your pic and answered my own question...

IMO the Vortex basket compliments any of my drums. I just finished a Hunsaker clone can using parts from their store. The wheel kit and free floating hinge are nice. The intake is on the bottom and is foot operated. I'll be making a inner firebasket sleeve and retrofit it on all my drums. It will mimic the Gateway, Iron Man Can and Hunsaker Smokers.

Top Bottom