Kit ordered, slight mod question

jas904

So, I've got my kit on order and my drum is sandblasted and ready to go. BTW, I'm beyond happy that I found BPS, probably saved me quite a few headaches and some money vs. trying to build one from scratch. Anyhow, my question. I'm thinking about installing two bars near the top for hanging meat in addition to the grate. This will give me an option of hanging or lying on the grate. Has anybody else done this? Are any of the vets yelling no right now? Will I mess things up? Thanks in advance. To say I'm excited is an understatement!

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum jas904. Yes others have installed bars for hanging cooks and if I'm correct, I think Meat Man did that to his drum. As BP said, make the holes nice so you can plug them when not in use. High temp. solid grommets work good for that.

scooter

Staff member
I was going to do that also but never did. I even purchased some sheet magnet off Amazon that I could cut to size to cover the holes when I wasn't hanging meat. Never got around to drilling the holes.

81t28n4g%2B%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

slackerdiver

I ordered my kit today and am thinking of adding a couple pair of U bolts at the top, slightly bent downward, to rest bars in for hanging. When the bars are not used the holes are already plugged.

Broomer

Have thougt of doing that to a UDS. Looked at putting strong U bolt with over size washers inside and out for support snug to side of drum then have a bolt welded on end of rod so will sit on U bolts.My other idea is to put a bar (2) on the 2 U bolts on each side then put the 2/3 rods on that bar.What to use as food hooks ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom