Cold Smoking

therman

I'll be buying a Big Poppa Drum Kit here soon and wondered if anyone has attached a cold smoker to it? If so, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Salmonsmoker

I'l bet you can easily make a cold smoke attachment similar to a Bradley Smoker cold smoke adapter kit. Use an Amaz-n pellet smoker in the cold smoke kit and pipe it to one of the air intake vents. They produce very little heat. You could form the accordion duct into the shape of an oval and make an attachment bracket that would fit right over the four holes of the intake. If you're not sure about the item I've mentioned, you can go to their website and view the accessory. The Amaz-n pellet smokers are available from Big Poppa. I have the tube and the maze and they both work great. My first cold smoker attachment was a cardboard box that I put a 4" round heat duct take-off in the top of, and ran the tubing to the smoker, isolating the pellet smoker from the cardboard by putting it on a ceramic tile.

Last edited:

mboyenko

Could you not just put the A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER right in the drum rather than piping it in or would it be too much heat for a cold smoke?

Salmonsmoker

Yes you could, it does produce some heat though. Placement would depend on the temperature where your smoker is located, if sun is on the barrel, etc. Cold smoking is at 90F or less and extra heat from the tube smoker could put it over the threshold. When I'm doing regular grilling with some added pellets, I stand the tube inside right in front of an air intake for air supply. Works like a charm.

Top Bottom