A second drum

BabelBBQ

I found a used drum fire $20 on Craig's list and an old weber knockoff at a garage sale for $5. My goal is to make a drum that loss like R2D2, there is a really great looking one posted all over the internet. I'll probably not use the full BPS kit because I'm in no hurry, and 3/4 pipes for the intake will add to the look. But I will probably at a minimum order the basket. My wife asked yesterday "why is it you are making an R2D2 smoker?" To which I replied "why wouldn't I make an R2D2 smoker?" And of course it will be nice to have more cooking surface for days like today when I'm smoking two pork butts from Costco and plan on doing chicken wings too.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
We have a drum smoker with a Weber lid. It has two racks in it and when set up as a indirect smoker it can handle three racks. That is a good reason to have another. On that smoker we have done 9 racks of ribs at one time. We did use the BPS kit minus the lower vents. Which if done again would use the lower vents.

BabelBBQ

Where is the third rack located? I see you have two thermometers in the picture below your name. I'm assuming just below rack 1 and 2. Does the third go on the upper u-bolts?

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I installed two racks in the drum and have a divider pan that sits on the second set of u bolts for the upper fire box mounts another grate sits on to of it. this shows the set up on our BPS stainless drum it only has two racks but this is the best picture on added the additional one.
IMG_4907-X2.jpg

This is the Black drum with all three racks in place. Having the Weber lids allows the space for the extra rack.

IMG_5025-X2.jpg

Top Bottom