Barrels and sandblasting in Dallas area?

se7enet

Hi all, total noob to all things bbq/smoking other than eating the results. My only experience so far is primarily in sitting around drinking beer with my brother in law while he's smoking in his horiz offset smoker. Been sort of wanting to start doing it myself, I found the BPS drum kit and I think I'm in love. It combines my love of cooking and eating meat, preferably with fire, and my love of DIY projects, all while taking into account my complete lack of engineering skills but a near-superhuman ability to successfully follow written instructions and assemble flat-pack furniture.

So anyway, enough self deprecation. I found a place in the Dallas area where (hopefully) I can get a used barrel for $17. Has anyone used Texas Barrel Supply before? Good? Bad? I've got an email out to them trying to confirm price and availability, haven't heard back yet. Anywhere else around here I should be looking?

Assuming I get the barrel, my understanding from poking around on these forums for the last few days is that sandblasting inside/outside the barrel is sufficient instead of the "high temperature pre-burn" recommended on the website. Is that correct? I'm in a residential neighborhood, unfortunately no access to any sort of unincorporated/unregulated land (yet!). I'm not sure the local constabulary would look too kindly on me starting and maintaining a large, uncovered barrel fire. Pretty sure we're under a burn ban anyway, hooray for extended drought conditions!

So if sandblasting alone is indeed sufficient, can anyone recommend somewhere in the northern Dallas area (preferably Collin county, Allen/McKinney/Frisco/etc) that can sandblast it for me? I've called a couple places, sent out some emails, filled out some request forms, so far the lowest quote is $50, which seems a bit higher than what others have mentioned. Combined with the kit, barrel, maybe some casters or a drum dolly, high temp paint, and whatever other random accessories I can come up with, that's climbing up dangerously close to "screw it, I'll just buy a Weber and be done with it" territory.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BabelBBQ

Do you have a weed burner/torch? That could be used to burn the paint of the outside.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Girevik

I just recently purchased a drum from TEXAS BARREL SUPPLY. They are in Garland.
The phone # is hard to find but here it is: (214) 784-6604
Harrell is a super nice guy! He hooked me up with a really nice used smooth sided barrel with a smooth lid (no holes) for $35.

TexasBarrelSupply_Barrel.jpg

This what it looked like when finished.

UDS.jpg

Salmonsmoker

$50 is pretty much the going price for a sandblast inside and out in my area. It will remove everything and the barrel's virtually ready for paint. With a barrel burn, you still have some elbow grease ahead in order to get the barrel ready for a good paint bond. If you love DIY projects, buying a Weber isn't going to qualify. Here's my latest barrel project. I made the stencils and then did multiple paints with the different colors and got it done in a weekend. It was a lot of fun and Seahawks fans around here are impressed.:)

http://www.drumsmoking.com/drum-smoking-lounge/1105-out-old.html

Girevik

Thanks.

I love my EDS. These things are awesome. I had a few temperature control issues but easily fixed that with a gasket around the lid.

Top Bottom