Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Here at Drum Smoking we talk about cooking on the low cost Drum Cookers. Which we have two BPS Drums. We also have other cookers. Our latest is the Ace BP. the following is also post on Pellet Smoking. For you folks that don't venture over there a lot . I reposted here for you.

Our Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP arrived Friday. The cargo weight is 860 pounds.I was able to but the wheels one at a time and roll it to the backyard without assistance.
IMG_5380-X2.jpg

IMG_5388-X2.jpg

cooked some deboned chicken thighs first. Traditional Butter in pan etc. This is a interesting cook because in this good size cooker cooking only 6 pieces of chicken on a lot of large unit will dry out the food, which it did not. We remove the skin before we eat these thighs which is why I don't do a better job on the wrapping of the skin.

DSC03688-X2.jpg

They came out real good very juicy.

Next cook was 6 racks of lion back ribs. You can easy get 5 lion back on each pull out rack. In these photos there are three to a rack as the ribs were done two ways one with foil and one without. The one with foil had Zero to Hero rub and Big Poppa Smokers Money and finished with IPO Barbecue sauce. The non foiled ribs had 17th Street Barbecue Magic Dust for a rub and their regular BBQ sauce.

IMG_5393-X2.jpg

After foiling the 3 racks I added a cut up chicken quarters with Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub.

IMG_5395-X2.jpg

Here we are saucing the ribs. I sauce them and let them sit out for 15-20 minutes. The sauce the meat side one more time and back on the pit. A lot neater this way.

IMG_5396-X2.jpg

IMG_5397-X2.jpg

I was on a time crunch so cut up photos I don't have this time. The cooked chicken I put in the refrigerator. I wish I had the time to taste the chicken as the skin did not feel like rubber closer to crisp.

Two days in still figuring out the proper amount or Kingsford to load and how much to light.Once it gets to temp it just seems to stay there and the fan that can stoke the fire doesn't seem to run much once it has the Ace BP at temp. We cooked at 225. The Ribs were great. Foil or not foiled didn't seem to matter much. The non foiled ones were spritzed with water three times while the others were wrapped up.Learned the non foiled recipe in the Ole Hickory Pits Class.Which I just outlined, it is that easy.Not spicy enough for a comp rib. Entertaining at parties it is a good all around flavor, which explains why Mike Mills uses it in his restaurants.

This is a scary cooker. I don't know how or why it works so good, some sort of applied science. If we were going to compete in competition. I would find a way to get this beast on a trailer. I am guessing you will see more teams using these as time goes on. I am glad we got ours when we did, it will be great for our summer parties and BP had some in the pipeline which meant the wait wasn't as long. Next weekend Brisket. Am I nuts for buying a cooker like this for the backyard? Until today I might have agreed. Now I am happy we did. It is fitting that it sits next to our MAK Grill as the workmanship of these two units are very similar.

Drum Smoking Members BP does have a in featured price of $3995 on this unit over $500 off retail. That may seem a lot for a cooker. When I purchased a MAK 2 Star $2499 it seemed like a lot of money too and I have never regretted that purchase and I know the Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP will be in the same league. Notice those two are closest to the door and just out of the picture next to the Ace BP is one of our BPS Drums

Top Bottom