Specifics on buying my drum....

SlowSmoked

Hey All:

I've been reading up on drum smokers for a few months and came across the BPS kit last night. I'm looking forward to building out and being ready to smoke on it in time for summer (amazing summers here in CO)

When I start calling around looking for my drum what exactly should I be looking for? Closed Top? Open Top? Food Grade? Also, what needs to be done to prep the drum? sandblast? New or Used?

Just looking for some expertise to get things going in the right direction. Thx

SlowSmoked

Also, if I buy the drum brand new and unpainted will I need to do anything to the interior besides doing a burn out and then seasoning with oil?

Salmonsmoker

You want an open top drum. If you end up buying a new drum get an unpainted unlined one. Then all you'll have to do for seasoning is wash the inside, let it dry, rub a coat of food grade oil on the inside and do a seasoning burn.

DjPorkchop

Yep, what salmon said. Make sure you get one without a liner. If that is your only choice, get it sandblasted. I burned mine out for 4 or 5 hours as hot as I could get it and it never touched the liner. If sandblasting is in order, might as well sandblast the outside to so you can get a nice powder coat on it or paint it up your self.

scooter

Staff member
I think on the BPS site where the kit is offered they give some instructions on what type of drum to look for.

Top Bottom